The Lake District ... stunning !!

I lived there for a few years as a sprog. Plenty good stuff round Barrow, Walney Island, erm, watching the nuclear subs, Barrow Grammar and South Newbarns Primary schools very good. Top, top football team at the time Barrow were in the old 3rd Division playing against the likes of the mighty Tranmere Rovers, Gillingham and Stockport County. Oh, those afternoons in the Holker Street end! The athleticism of Fred Else in goals and the preditory talent of Jimmy Mulholland up front. Ulverston and Coniston just up the road. Youth hostelling in Eskdale with the Scouts. Happy days.
We had a trip out to Walney Island (well as far as you could go without using the ferry ;)) as we came in via the coast road and that was probably the only area that had something of interest.

We had a trip out to Walney Island (well as far as you could go without using the ferry ;)) as we came in via the coast road and that was probably the only area that had something of interest.
If you go to the far side, there are some ok beaches if I remember correctly.

Lakes are great, but for similar scenery and activities, carry on a bit to Dumfries and Galloway, or even go across to the Scottish Borders and North Northumberland. Scenery without crowds and traffic.

Haha I love Bowness. I can spend all day in the Hole in the Wall!

Windermere has got some good bars now too.

We go every year, love it. We walk to Ambleside and get the boat back.

Hole in the wall, The Royal Oak, The old John Peel and the The Angel are my favourite boozers in Boweness. I love a bit of Ambleside too, every time you go you discover somewhere new in the lakes.

Hole in the wall, The Royal Oak, The old John Peel and the The Angel are my favourite boozers in Boweness. I love a bit of Ambleside too, every time you go you discover somewhere new in the lakes.
We had a meal on the Thursday we arrived, at The Angel.Only problem they didn`t have Cold Guinness, but I still managed a couple of pints of something. ;)

We had a meal on the Thursday we arrived, at The Angel.Only problem they didn`t have Cold Guinness, but I still managed a couple of pints of something. ;)

Lovely beer garden there when the weather is right, went a couple of weeks ago for 5 days and had a good few days of beer gardens, walking and getting a boat round the lake. When the weather is like this there is no place like it.

Used to be taken there a lot as a kid. Love it.

I read Jim Morrison visited the Lake District just before he died don't know if it's true.

The King of psychedelic oblivion in such rural splendour. Kind of makes sense.
First I’ve heard about this Jimbo rumour ... tried to find confirmation but so far only a suggestion that he might have gone to visit Wordsworth's house.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.