The Lake District ... stunning !!

There's a great wild camping spot above a small lay-by on the Hardknott Pass. It's a bit of a grunt straight up followed by a bit of boggy ground, but then it opens out with some great views over towards Striding Edge. If you take a radio up you can pick up Radio Manx. Never had anybody pass our tents either.

I married a girl from Cleator Moor many years ago. We would go up to stay with her family sometimes and have a night out - what a fucking eye opener that was! Blokes playing pool on a table so soaked with beer that the balls left a spray as they moved. The men’s bogs had one of those old wall length urinals that went down to floor level with a drain at one end. It had blocked and the floor was swimming in piss, fag ends and god knows what else so the barman got a pool cue, poked it at the drain til it unblocked and then put the cue back on the table!
The wife was fucking bonkers too.....

I've a soft spot for Cumberland, as I still call it. My Mam came from Whitehaven! And with the introduction of just one extra letter itwould always sound 'ethereal'!

Robin Hood in Penrith (technically just outside the Lakes ) is a bit of a city pub with a load of memorabilia on display

I'm surprised and a little dissapointed that no one is extolling the virtues of the West Cumbria tourist towns of Whitehaven, Workington, and the jewel in the south lakeland crown that's Barrow in furness. Also the magnificent border city of Carlisle. All are steeped in history, and offer the discerning traveller a delightful selection of charity shops, fast food and of course alcohol. Although the heady days of solvent abuse are now sadly gone, there is a thriving artisan narcotics trade.
It's like reading Wordsworth.

I wandered lonely, within a crowd
That floats while high on ales and pills
When all at once I saw a Spoons
Mine host! A pint of lager top for me
Beside the bar, beneath TV
Fluttering with bookie on my phone, see!

Cheers stoner.
I'm pretty excited about our little trip. Wife's not had a break for 2 years and it'll be the mutts first holiday. And amazingly it's my first time ever in the Lakes.
Got a nice b and b pub slap bang in the centre of town so wife can have a little mooch without too much walking and i'm looking forward to an early morning dog walk around a big puddle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.