The Last Days of Maine Road (short film/video)

youngbob

Hiya everyone. Been having a look through some old family tapes recently and have come across some footage my dad shot of Maine Road between (roughly) 2001 and 2004.

The first lot of footage is from just after Christmas 2001, could be January or February 2002. City were nice enough to put on a day for the kids and there were all sorts of events going on. Mascot races, food and drink, some autograph signings with a couple of players (there's some footage of Paulo Wanchope in there).

Also pretty sure that's Ian Cheeseman on the microphone over the PA system.

The second lot of footage comes from shortly after, during the summer of 2002, when the Division One (now Championship) trophy was on display at Maine Road. There was a bit of a tour around the Main Stand and the Kippax, and we were allowed in the gym where there's some footage of Nicky Weaver and (I think) Christian Negouai trying to get back to fitness.

We were later invited down to Carrington to watch the lads training. I think it was shortly after we'd signed Nicolas Anelka because he scores a goal in one clip. And then we had a big meet-and-greet afterwards with the likes of Eyal Berkovic, Shaun Goater, Darren Huckerby, etc. There's a nice bit where Shaun has a chat with everyone in the room after scoring a few goals.

And then it finishes with some (probably rare?) video footage of the Maine Road demolition site, circa February or March 2004-ish. My dad and me just happened to be driving past one day, and having a look through the fence, when a guy in a hi-vis jacket asked us if we wanted a closer look. He invited us onto the demolition site and my dad got his camera out. We've still got bits of rubble and flakes of sky blue paint to this day.

Enjoy. (I'm the child in the City bob hat but I've cut out footage where you can see my face or hear me talking. Not sure why, just felt like "protecting my privacy" when I was compiling the footage and editing it together. Plus I doubt you all want to see my 10-year-old mug when Maine Road's far more interesting).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.