The Loving Cup

MaineStandMoaner

Today saw Glasgow Rangers' annual Loving Cup ceremony, whereby the reigning monarch is toasted on the first home game of the year by the clubs directors and the visiting teams board. A Loving Cup was presented to every team in the 1936/37 English Division One, plus the two teams who were promoted that year by the then Chairman of Stoke City, with the stipulation that each team perform the said toast every year. Rangers were given theirs as a thank you for playing a charity game in Stoke benefitting a local mining disaster.

City obviously won the league that year and the rags were promoted and so would have received one also. My question is... do City still have theirs? I know they don`t perform the ceremony, but wondered if the cup survived. I believe Everton, Charlton and obviously Stoke City still perform the ritual. Here`s a clip of todays...

Today saw Glasgow Rangers' annual Loving Cup ceremony, whereby the reigning monarch is toasted on the first home game of the year by the clubs directors and the visiting teams board. A Loving Cup was presented to every team in the 1936/37 English Division One, plus the two teams who were promoted that year by the then Chairman of Stoke City, with the stipulation that each team perform the said toast every year. Rangers were given theirs as a thank you for playing a charity game in Stoke benefitting a local mining disaster.

City obviously won the league that year and the rags were promoted and so would have received one also. My question is... do City still have theirs? I know they don`t perform the ceremony, but wondered if the cup survived. I believe Everton, Charlton and obviously Stoke City still perform the ritual. Here`s a clip of todays...

we swapped ours for a groundhog and on this day every year.......................

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.