The Mandela Effect

I've read stuff that says your brain is actually pretty poor at remembering stuff so as a defence mechanism will just go with the flow in the hope you don't notice. So if your talking to someone who has a seemingly strong recollection of an event your brain will not want to get caught out and assume it was accurate. Also someone told me that when you recall an incident you then resave it back into your brain so overtime the memory becomes fragmented or corrupted as opposed to having a read only recollection of an event.

The brain is the master at filling gaps in your memory with useless, unrelatable shit. It only takes you to second guess a part of your own recount once, or a leading question or statement to completely change your recollection. Once that happens, you can essentially be convinced to ‘misremember’ the ‘facts’ of what you saw.

There are some brilliant eye witness testimony experiments and case examples which highlight how poor our detailed memory is. Well worth a dig through.

This is a phenomenon i have always jarred with. Many times i found myself thinking "err that isn't right" but everyone else is nodding so you just leave it. Am i suggestable, yes, but not in this manor which relates to hypnosis. Indeed i was classed as a bad candidate for such stuff when i wanted to quit smoking via hypnotherapy.

This reminds me of the first couple of Kings of Leon albums when nobody had a clue what he was singing about.

Captain pugwash is one that springs to mind. So many people swear there were characters called seamen staines, Roger the cabin boy, master bates. In reality none of these existed, people just seem to have repeated it enough that everyone remembers it as truth.

Had argument with some one once, they were saying Bridge over the river kwai, advised them it was on not over. They wouldn't have it.

Edit: another one just thought of is frankenstein. Everyone calls the monster it when it's the mad scientist.

The one that springs to mind is about that farm on the M62 just as you get over Yorkshire/Lancashire border, which sits in the middle of the 2 carriageways.
Over the years i've had a quite a few people tell me they remember news reports from the 60/70's in which it said the farmer wouldn't sell up, so they just built the motorway around him.

The reality is that the farm sits on a natural fault line, and due to the geology & geography of the ground, a motorway couldn't be built over his farm anyhow.
Point proven - my dad told me that pretty much word for word :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.