The Maths Thread

CityInWashingtonState

Team supported
Manchester City is my team - until I fucking die.
If you like math puzzles, want to know about maths sites, have interest in maths or would like to know what books to read to learn more about maths...

Well then, post here.

I'm no expert whatsoever in the subject... but it's probably my favorite pursuit.

Statistics and %ages:

What makes a majority? is it anything over 50%? Are there levels of "Majority"?
Does the mathamitical term "Majority" come with conditions?

is a majority of 51.9%, being a higher percentage ( by 3.8%) of the other side of the question a valid majority or is it a dependent on the condition the question is asked in and if it is not deemed a valid majority, what majority should be reached before the result is deemed valid?

I am due to start a distance learning foundation degree in Jan. The second module is Engineering Maths. I did BTEC (L2) maths coming up for 20 years ago now, and I've forgotten most of it. I'm sure it will come back to me, but I'm still a little apprehensive.

I've got this to plough through at some point.

Last edited:
Statistics and %ages:

What makes a majority? is it anything over 50%? Are there levels of "Majority"?
Does the mathamitical term "Majority" come with conditions?

is a majority of 51.9%, being a higher percentage ( by 3.8%) of the other side of the question a valid majority or is it a dependent on the condition the question is asked in and if it is not deemed a valid majority, what majority should be reached before the result is deemed valid?
This should help.
Dennis: I told you, we're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as sort of executive officer for the week...
King Arthur: Yes...
Dennis: ...but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...
King Arthur: Yes I see...
Dennis: ...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...
King Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis: ...but by a two thirds majority in the case of more...

giphy.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.