Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems Covid has driven the world mad. First there's that crazy stuff in Greece, and now Messi wants to leave Barcelona, and according to some reports he wants to play for City??

According to press reports Koeman told Messi that “your privileges here are over”, and that his friend Suarez was being released. I believe that Messi is being shown the door by Barcelona. It seems to me that Barcelona have deliberately provoked this situation and they want to rebuild Barcelona without Messi and will try and salvage what they can. The contractual situation looks a mess and it's hard to know where a court would stand without knowing the exact wording but I suspect that Barcelona would not want to go to war with the player and will try and reach an agreement with a buyer with a compromise fee.

A buying club will have a huge PR coup, but the fact remains that his powers on the pitch are much reduced. That's sad but it is true. The question is what level can Messi now operate at? It is an open question. Could Messi in a City shirt win a title? It would be a mission indeed. To be honest this is all a circus and I don't think it's really good for City's footballing fortunes, although for a while it would be a marketing coup.

To make the whole thing even more farcical we can not even watch Messi in a City shirt because of the crazy virus.

It is 100% happening.

Now, the important part is to see if Messi manages to leave on free or if you find a middle ground with Barcelona (they have accepted his will to leave) to prevent any legal battle.

Imo, the second option is the more likely. Something like 100+ one player (Eric Garcia for example).

Highly doubt we'd go anywhere near that amount. Can't see us getting him if he's not on a free or we're talking more of a sweetener rather than smashing our transfer record. A big fee ontop of the package for Messi seems impossible to me

Shirt sponsors will be knocking down the door to have their logo on a city shirt with Messi wearing it. It’s a win win situation.

It is 100% happening.

Now, the important part is to see if Messi manages to leave on free or if you find a middle ground with Barcelona (they have accepted his will to leave) to prevent any legal battle.

Imo, the second option is the more likely. Something like 100+ one player (Eric Garcia for example).
I believe this too. I think no way does Barcelona FC want to go to court with Messi. City and Barca reach an agreement and he plays for City next season in front of zero fans (actually I believe Covid is coming to an end but that is a separate topic).

There's going to be some crazy hype. I wasn't keen on signing him but it would at the same time be great for see him in a City shirt for a final swansong.

If City want him, I am certain he will come to City, it's just a question of reaching a compromise agreement with barcelona. It is also pretty clear that barcelona instigated this and know that to start the rebuilding of Barcelona. That should be a warning to what will be a legion of excited City fans.

Seems Covid has driven the world mad. First there's that crazy stuff in Greece, and now Messi wants to leave Barcelona, and according to some reports he wants to play for City??

According to press reports Koeman told Messi that “your privileges here are over”, and that his friend Suarez was being released. I believe that Messi is being shown the door by Barcelona. It seems to me that Barcelona have deliberately provoked this situation and they want to rebuild Barcelona without Messi and will try and salvage what they can. The contractual situation looks a mess and it's hard to know where a court would stand without knowing the exact wording but I suspect that Barcelona would not want to go to war with the player and will try and reach an agreement with a buyer with a compromise fee.

A buying club will have a huge PR coup, but the fact remains that his powers on the pitch are much reduced. That's sad but it is true. The question is what level can Messi now operate at? It is an open question. Could Messi in a City shirt win a title? It would be a mission indeed. To be honest this is all a circus and I don't think it's really good for City's footballing fortunes, although for a while it would be a marketing coup.

To make the whole thing even more farcical we can not even watch Messi in a City shirt because of the crazy virus.
Would not believe things like this from the big Spanish papers - Barca, and Barto specifically, have a history of using them to smear the players and paint them in a bad light

Sorry but that's just an absolute nonsense argument. "don't sign him because he's too talented". He's the greatest player of the modern era (of all time imo) and can still play at the top level. You don't say no to a chance like that, if a deal can be made then get it done this is football not accountancy.

my argument is nothing to do with accountancy, its to do with him impact on the team. We have flawed parallels in our own history, Rodney Marsh is an obvious one, Kinkladze less so, but consider despite his personal genius, we still got relegated with him in the team. Might have made no difference had we played the whole season with a hard working journeyman in his place, who knows

This is actually happening, isn’t it? If he does leave, we’re certainly the most likely destination. It would be huge for the club. What could raise the profile of the club more than bringing in the probably the best player in the history of the game? God I hope we somehow pull this off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.