Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see the different takes on the interview.

Mine is this: if he was completely resigned to staying I can’t see the need to burn the bridges he did.

He makes it clear that the only thing preventing him going is Bartomeu going back on his word.

He can’t continue to obviously push for a move as he has tried everything he can but that doesn’t mean he has given up this window just that other things need to fall his way in terms of the board.

He may change in the future if the current board are all replaced but it’s a big job that will take time and Messi doesn’t have that time personally. I think it’s more if City still want him in a year...which I think they might.

My take is that, if Barto is forced to re-think, then Messi leaves this window and the fans know why but it’s a big “if”

The rest is fluff.

24 hours is a long time in politics.

Last edited:
He wanted to leave and had an agreement in place to do so.

It's a case of doing the right thing and doing things right.

Doing the right thing would be acknowledging that the current pandemic threw that out and the actual end of the season happened much later. Doing the right thing would be acknowledging the huge contribution and almost 20 years of service Messi has devoted to Barcelona. Doing the right thing would be acknowledging that Bart even said "at the end of the season Messi can leave if he choses" in an interview. Doing the right thing would be to let Messi leave smoothly if he wants to with a huge thank you and good luck.

However, Bartomeu is in the 'doing things right' camp by insisting Messi stay because it stated a date in his contract because that 'should' have been the end of the season. If Messi had said before June 10th, whilst Barcelona were still in the Champions League, "Right Bart me ol' chum'. I'm out of here!" would Bartomeu have said "Fair enough Leo. It says right there that you can do that so cheers for everything."? Of course he wouldn't. He would have used the very argument that Messi did that the season hasn't finished yet.

So, Messi has been disrespected, shat on, lied to and threatened with legal action by his boss. He doesn't rate the manager, doesn't rate some of the first team players and generally thinks Barca is an absolute shit show right now and yet Messi wants to stay?

Do me a favour.
Your penultimate paragraph would appear to be absolutely true from an analytical standpoint. Pure gold.

Mine is this: if we was completely resigned to staying I can’t see the need to burn the bridges he did.

He makes it clear that the only thing preventing him going is Bartomeu going back on his word.

He can’t continue to obviously push for a move as he has tried everything he can that doesn’t mean he has given up this window just that other things need to fall his way in terms of the board.

He may change in the future if the current board are all replaced but it’s a big job that will take time and Messi doesn’t have that time personally. I think it’s more if City still want him in a year...which I think they might.

My take is that, if that changes, he leaves and the fans know why.

The rest is fluff.

I have a similar take on it mate...

In a transfer like this, involving a player who has been with one club for his entire career, making that break is a big part of it. A lot of thought goes in to how it is positioned to the fans... Messi's video has already prepared them for his departure, in a way he's already done one of the hardest things, publicly explaining his reasoning for wanting a move.

The video wasn't a Barca PR exercise, far from it. He was scathing and made it clear he is only there because they went back on their promises and won't let him leave.

I do wonder if his lawyers had told him his case wasn't very strong and was unlikely to hold up in court, so instead he pushed the move as far as he could, in the hope Barca would relent? When that didn't work, him saying the only reason he didn't pursue it was because he loves Barca so much helps to keep the fans on his side...

I'd actually be more surprised if we don't bid for him in this window. Aside from the denial that players would be involved in a swap deal, we haven't distanced ourselves from being interested. If it was dead, I think we would have put something out to imply we had moved on.

If City are confident that Messi would sign a pre-contract agreement in January and Barca know that too, they would be mad not to take a significant fee for him now. Maybe Bartomeu is spiteful enough to do that, but given their finances he could arguably spin it to make him out to be a hero for preventing Messi leaving for free and instead getting a substantial fee for an unhappy player, who would have walked away for free in 12 months.

Maybe he will end up staying, but I don't think this is done yet.

Lets see what happens in January, when he's free to talk to clubs about a move.
If City contact him, we'll see by how he responds

I have a similar take on it mate...

In a transfer like this, involving a player who has been with one club for his entire career, making that break is a big part of it. A lot of thought goes in to how it is positioned to the fans... Messi's video has already prepared them for his departure, in a way he's already done one of the hardest things, publicly explaining his reasoning for wanting a move.

The video wasn't a Barca PR exercise, far from it. He was scathing and made it clear he is only there because they went back on their promises and won't let him leave.

I do wonder if his lawyers had told him his case wasn't very strong and was unlikely to hold up in court, so instead he pushed the move as far as he could, in the hope Barca would relent? When that didn't work, him saying the only reason he didn't pursue it was because he loves Barca so much helps to keep the fans on his side...

I'd actually be more surprised if we don't bid for him in this window. Aside from the denial that players would be involved in a swap deal, we haven't distanced ourselves from being interested. If it was dead, I think we would have put something out to imply we had moved on.

If City are confident that Messi would sign a pre-contract agreement in January and Barca know that too, they would be mad not to take a significant fee for him now. Maybe Bartomeu is spiteful enough to do that, but given their finances he could arguably spin it to make him out to be a hero for preventing Messi leaving for free and instead getting a substantial fee for an unhappy player, who would have walked away for free in 12 months.

Maybe he will end up staying, but I don't think this is done yet.

I agree except for the legal bit. I think he had a very strong case. The reason this wasn’t pursued is that by the time it was ruled on his contract would be at an end anyway so there was no point and that’s what Bartomeu knew.

If I was Messi I would be furious at Bartomeu’s recent comments that he was never seriously worried Messi would leave. He’s talking about him like he is a child rather than the best player in the World. Players will think twice before joining Barca now if they have a close alternative.

Mine is this: if he was completely resigned to staying I can’t see the need to burn the bridges he did.

He can’t continue to obviously push for a move as he has tried everything he can but that doesn’t mean he has given up this window just that other things need to fall his way in terms of the board.

My take is that, if Barto is forced to re-think, then Messi leaves this window and the fans know why but it’s a big “if”

The rest is fluff.

24 hours is a long time in politics.

Lets see how many votes the no confidence motion gathers. They're about 2/3rds of the way there with 5 days to go.

I agree except for the legal bit. I think he had a very strong case. The reason this wasn’t pursued is that by the time it was ruled on his contract would be at an end anyway so there was no point and that’s what Bartomeu knew.

If I was Messi I would be furious at Bartomeu’s recent comments that he was never seriously worried Messi would leave. He’s talking about him like he is a child rather than the best player in the World. Players will think twice before joining Barca now if they have a close alternative.

Interesting RE the time it would have taken for the case to be heard, that makes sense.

I hadn't picked up on Bartomeu's commments... that's unbelievable. Hardly going to make Messi want to stay!

I did not interpret it like @Coatigan. It's true that a great deal could still change between now & January much less next June but I do not view the player as one that makes rash decisions regarding his career

Today - the player is fully committed to Barca but there's no question, for me, he would prefer to leave if it could be done relatively smoothly (Not the case atm, obviously)

January - motion to censure and possible change of board could play a role in what his mindset will be but considering how many times he has hung his hat on 'maybe' things will change, I would say a lot of tangible things would need to occur up front & I don't see there being enough time to sway him. But that's simply my view/feel for matters

June - if it gets to June and little has tangibly changed then it's a done deal that he will come to City. But, as I say, a lot can change between now & then since we have seen that there is a precedent - that despite taking a serious career decision, he can walk it back

My hope, I want a happy & motivated Messi - I would like it to be at Barca but there is zero hesitation on my part that it does not need to be at Barca either should the shite show continue. And if he goes anywhere then no place would be better than City under Pep - that, I have no doubt
Very nice use of the word ‘shite’.
Still don’t see it happening beyond this window. Too many variables to contemplate.

What comments are these? not seen anything from bartomeu since the interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.