Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he’s coming.
There, I said it.
I would fucking love to see Messi here playing for us, fucking love it.

*Groucho Marx voice* “anybody got a problem with that?”.

Hopefully Tolmie can rubbish the lastest Sky rumour.

If we're going to get it done, get it fucking done swiftly and avoid a saga. Our club is in decline and we can't afford to waste time on fruitless chases. If this is a genuine possibility, get it done in January and start preparing for a summer of adding pace and power to this stale squad.
Care to explain how you've come to the conclusion that the club is in decline?

Mbappe turned us down, Haaland is represented by Raiola and we don’t seem to be interested in Sancho. Personally I think he’s massively overrated. He gets so much space to run into and he never turns up against Bayern or in CL games. Our transfer model just seem to prefer getting slightly lower profile younger players in stead of Galactico signings
I get that mate and fully understand but sometimes you just have to get in there and show intent .

Our financial reports are scheduled to come out soon and I'm planning on doing a deeper dive on this when they do, but one thing I see often repeated in this thread that I've become very skeptical of is the idea that Messi would "pay for himself". I don't believe he would.

Our commercial revenue really isn't that far off of Barcelona's. Total commercial revenues for Manchester City in 18-19 were £228m, and that includes all the sponsorship arrangements as well as any events put on at the Etihad like concerts, random conferences, grounds tours, etc. Barcelona's total commercial revenue meanwhile was £290m, only £62m more than ours, and that includes all of this magical Messi money as well as the earnings power of their massive global brand. So to pay for Messi we would basically need to match their revenues - we're really two years of a 34 year old Lionel Messi away from matching the commercial power of Barcelona?

That's not even accounting for how shitty the advertising economy is right now. We're in a global recession. Etihad would've probably been bankrupt by now if it weren't for state support and we just signed a new shirt deal. Where is this extra money coming from?

Care to explain how you've come to the conclusion that the club is in decline?
I think that the incredible 198 points spell has distorted views a bit (understandably). In hindsight that level of form is a bit unstable and I think even though we're a bit below standard we haven't been too far off a strong standard.

Post restart we were about on par form wise with the Mancini title winning side. This season we've clearly improved at the back from last year since Dias arrived and we've had no striker for ages. And the first two games we've had since having a striker back are Liverpool and Tottenham, two sides that we could have always struggled to score against given how they'd play against us.

My point is, I think all of this has contributed to the rather overdramatic shift in attitude lately, culminating in comments like the one you've quoted.

Of course, you'll get a response that you'll have seen all over the forum that you know seems over the top, but hey ho.

Now, you specifically mentioned the club and not the team, which is not what it seems my answer was about. But people are going to associate one with the other. Because that's what people do. It was all fine and dandy in the transfer market when we were winning, even though very little has changed.

thank god for the messi thing. not the way forward. we need young blood to prolong the clubs success. and we need a coach who's gonna get the best out of players. not buy ready made players.
You'll be okay waiting for a few years whilst the young blood bed in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.