Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine we opened discussions in Jan and we weren’t in the top 4.

Messi would probably have to wait to see if we even qualified for the CL before agreeing to come.

I just dread to think the absolute mess we will be in as a club once Messi and Pep fuck off, the short term 'gains' people are obsessing over are going to put us so far back as a Club it is staggering, we're turning into everything we have been told by the press and other fans and argued we aren't as a Club. All for one player who is only coming here as a favour to his fucking mate who won't care what damage is done to the Club once gone.
Surely you recognise that the club have been working towards longevity rather than a short term hiatus

Be fuming if we spunk a load of dough on his wages instead of giving agents money for young players like Halland
1) he will take a wage cut ,he had agreed as per reports when he was linked in summer.
2) he generates a lot of revenue for the club . Reason why Barcelona still want him to take a pay cut and stay

Having said that I agree we can have a long term solution (based on age) than a stort term one (that is Messi) . But money has little to do with this.

Imagine we opened discussions in Jan and we weren’t in the top 4.

Messi would probably have to wait to see if we even qualified for the CL before agreeing to come.
Absolutely this. We are not going to open discussions otherwise.

"There is a belief that the marketing upsides of signing Lionel Messi would help propel Man City into one of the world's super clubs." (@Jack_Gaughan twitter)

Personally I think he'll always be associated with Barca, like Lampard is with Chelsea, playing a couple of years in the twilight of your career can't undo the vast majority of it in your prime at another club.
He will of course always be associated with Barca.

However, how it’s ultimately seen depends for me on how much he has left in the tank and what impact he might have, both in the team and in English football. Win a couple of Champions Leagues and Ballon d’Ors, smash in 20 plus goals and assists each year and it’ll become a very noteworthy part of his career.

I felt he really had to come this season but the noises out of the club, and that’s what Jack Gaughan always reports, seem to be they still think he can do it and make an impact for a further two seasons. We’ll soon find out if we strike a January agreement.

Surely you recognise that the club have been working towards longevity rather than a short term hiatus

There's absolutely no point even trying to engage with someone who writes something as fucking stupid as that.

Anyone who thinks signing Messi is a short term move is being wilfully ignorant at this point, there's only so many times the long term financial benefits of having the greatest football player in history shine a colossal spotlight on your club for 2 or 3 years can be explained.

Also, I think it's absolutely pathetic to claim Pep Guardiola "won't care what damage is done to the Club once gone". Guardiola has come to this club, brought the fans 8 trophies, domestic success that could only be dreamed of, he's gone to bat for the club dozens of times in front of a press pack looking to bring the club down, challenged UEFA, the G-14, the hateful 8.

What the fuck has he ever done for some random on a forum to question how much he cares about the club?

Last edited:
Friendly matches would be more of an attraction for starters - go on a pre-season tour with him playing and more people will pay their money to come and watch him live.

Shirt sales etc.

Going off the above article,they reckon a club gets 15% from each shirt sold......they reckon Messi sells 2M shirts per year worth $45m (£33m) to his team.
Overall they reckon he's worth about $175m (£130m) per year for the team he plays for.
Could all be bollocks though.

He basically complained that the reason Griezmann is doing badly at Barcelona is that the training sessions didn't suit Griezmann because he needs to work really hard in training to play well in games, and Messi and others don't. It's not fair that the training sessions are set up to get the best out of Messi and some other players and not Griezmann.

It was a bizarre attack because there's nothing to stop Griezmann doing extra work, and obviously Messi at 33 isn't going to run himself into the ground Monday to Friday to prepare for the weekend's game.

Good interview with Valdano from Griezz to try & refute the rumours of the past week but I think most cules would prefer he did his talking on the pitch. Of course, this public denial was needed

A hard worker and I have enjoyed his football for 15 years in Spain but he simply does not fit our style of football. A disastrous signing

One has little to do with the other. Of course he will always be associated with Barca but it doesn't preclude him from making an impact elsewhere
I agree he would make a short term impact. Undoubtedly there would be an excitement and increase in ticket/shirt sales, sponsorship etc. However IMO, his long term marketing impact for City will be reduced, in the consciousness of many football fans, by his career association with Barca.

In the long term it will be our club's trophies and success on the football field, moving forward, which will more increase the club's popularity and appeal to neutral fans.

If our on field success is similar to United's after Ferguson retired, when Pep and Messi leave, after say 2/3 years, our popularity as a club will decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.