Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the actual interview and he said he was going to move despite his family wanting him to stay.

His family wanted to stay when he told Bartomeu he wanted to leave a year before everything blew up. His family wanted to stay when he spoke to City and arranged a deal. His family wanted to stay when he tried to cancel his contract with a burofax.

What he said in the interview was that as much as family is important, he's not going to let them stop him from making a move to finish his career on a high.

How is it possible for people to not understand that?

“The whole family began crying, my children did not want to leave Barcelona, nor did they want to change schools, but I looked further afield and I want to compete at the highest level"
Spot on, there's some very selective quotes being used.

Has he not also stated that he wants to move to America as well?

Spot on, there's some very selective quotes being used.

Has he not also stated that he wants to move to America as well?
He's mentioned it and going back to Newell's Old Boys in the past. Could see him and the transvestite ending up at Miami and New York tbh.

For the very first time I'm starting to think that I'm not convinced Messi coming would be the best thing for the team, and I'd have laughed at myself even a few months ago for even suggesting that. We are that damn good as a unit now that I'd have a slight worry that him coming in on enormous wages and being, in some ways, bigger than the club, might upset the apple cart. Would Haaland come if Messi was coming? If I had a choice now between Messi and Haaland I'd chose Haaland.

I do understand that this move might be more about the club's profile than football, but would Pep accept that? It seems a mad thing to say but now he has developed this team unit, could he decide Messi is too big a risk?

For the very first time I'm starting to think that I'm not convinced Messi coming would be the best thing for the team, and I'd have laughed at myself even a few months ago for even suggesting that. We are that damn good as a unit now that I'd have a slight worry that him coming in on enormous wages and being, in some ways, bigger than the club, might upset the apple cart. Would Haaland come if Messi was coming? If I had a choice now between Messi and Haaland I'd chose Haaland.

I do understand that this move might be more about the club's profile than football, but would Pep accept that? It seems a mad thing to say but now he has developed this team unit, could he decide Messi is too big a risk?
I'm totally on the fence on Messi. If he comes, then awesome, we have the best player in the world making a fantastic squad even better. If he doesn't, then we're not going to implode and we'll still be wining trophies for the next few years at least.

I don't understand. I think Messi would be better than any other player we have. How would he consider it a risk?

If he's honestly just deciding purely on the sporting project then I'm not sure what he thinks Barca can offer him, Eric Garcia on a free isn't the most convincing projects one can offer. Obviously there's the sentimental factor but as far as projects go, there's only one winner.

Just to confirm then, he doesn't really want to come to City to further his ambition and win things. He will see what is offered by Barcelona then if it isn't enough he will look elsewhere? Lets just fuck this whole saga off once and for all. Had enough of it and we are so much better than a 34(bythe time he would be playing for us) Lionel Messi. Focus on young upcoming talent rather than someone looking for one last dash.

Read the actual interview and he said he was going to move despite his family wanting him to stay.

His family wanted to stay when he told Bartomeu he wanted to leave a year before everything blew up. His family wanted to stay when he spoke to City and arranged a deal. His family wanted to stay when he tried to cancel his contract with a burofax.

What he said in the interview was that as much as family is important, he's not going to let them stop him from making a move to finish his career on a high.

How is it possible for people to not understand that?

“The whole family began crying, my children did not want to leave Barcelona, nor did they want to change schools, but I looked further afield and I want to compete at the highest level"

Past tense being (for me) as key to this as anything else. I.e.he said he wanted to move and how his family reacted. He alsonsaid how special Barcelona was to them, in the context of him staying once that choice was made.

We can of course assume that it still applies, that he would uproot his family despite their reaction to it, a whole year later. And maybe it is true. But ultimately that is just guesswork. The interview isnt proof of that.

Time will tell i guess.

I know it would be good for the club commercially while it lasted but I think as much as it might be the right time of Messi, it's the wrong time for City. The wage bill, squad depth and team ethos are healthy for our position. Signing Messi could jeopardise all of that, we will probably get 2 seasons max out of him and potentially miss out on Haaland(if we have a chance of signing him) in the process.

I suppose I'd feel better if I thought we could also get 2 more years out of Aguero. With those two in the squad, we wont be wanting for goals one bit(lets not forget how many goals Messi scores and creates), even if they can't play every game, we could rotate and thus we wont need Haaland during that time. We'd need a plan for after they leave is the downside, targets lined up well in advance etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.