Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Only thing I'd add is, people shouldn't underestimate Pep's power at the club and his sway with Khaldoon. There is not a cat in hell's chance that City would pursue a deal for Messi unless Guardiola first said "yes, do it, I want him". And if he does that, it means he's got a plan for him, rest assured. So all this talk of "Messi won't press, won't suit our style of play, will disrupt the team" is misplaced. The beginning and end is that this won't happen without Pep's footballing approval.
Yep, pretty much what I’ve thought all along. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Messi play something similar to the role Gundo has been playing this season.

I think the American angle could be a deciding factor.

I just cant accept that Messi drives 30% of Barcelona revenues, if that is the case Barcelona without Messi is only 8th in terms of revenue streams (just ahead of Tottenham) and way below Real Madrid Or Manchester United And who are there “messi’s”.

I can see how he might be responsible for around £100m of their revenue and that losing him in the current market would pose real challenges to contract negotiation but its Barcelona which represents a incredibly strong football brand with a huge fan base worldwide which wouldn’t disappear over night, it’s one of the reasons we want Messi as he delivers a long term revenue uplift by asssociation.

The revenue impact is however an aside as the power this summer ilies all with Messi, so the question is how can they afford to keep Messi and how can they afford to invest in the squad To meet his ambitions? One thing is for sure Barcelona will try to keep him but how they answer those two questions is difficult.

If this is in anyway true then the real question is how have Barcelona fallen so far behind the other major footballing teams and built up a debt of a billion knowing that they were utterly reliant upon one player who was going to retire shortly!

Attachments

• 72B2EBC6-9ACE-4D64-A7C5-DFE99B3A4DD1.jpeg
    72B2EBC6-9ACE-4D64-A7C5-DFE99B3A4DD1.jpeg
    834.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Well this has changed from "we will make him an offer he can't refuse"

"I am sure that if someone else wins the election, Messi won't stay at the club. I have a good relationship with him; there's a lot of respect. We'll make him an offer based on the club's situation. Maybe we can't compete financially, but Messi is not ruled by money. He wants to end his career at the highest level possible."
hahah fucking grade A politician **** move that. He pulled the dagger from behind and made messi the villain .
He is not even subtle . Fuck man i don’t know wtf must be going inside messi’s head atm

If Messi joined us, how much actual money through merchandise and marketing do you think he would bring into the club. How much does he currently bring in to Barcelona, does anyone know? Wouldnt some of that be his own income so to speak, and not the clubs.

If Messi joined us, how much actual money through merchandise and marketing do you think he would bring into the club. How much does he currently bring in to Barcelona, does anyone know? Wouldnt some of that be his own income so to speak, and not the clubs.

It's a good question. I'm not an expert but based on numbers I've seen I reckon at least £50m a year gain for City. Barca say he makes them 20-30% of their revenue which is about £615m according to Deloitte. So he brings in £120m - £180m. His contract is 96m a year (confirmed by Barca) so that's consistent. If we're conservative and say it's roughly a 66/33 split in his favour that's about £50m.

For comparison

£70m - win champions league.
£150m - win premier league
£250m - City's current Commercial revenue.

So you're talking about having the best player in the world on the pitch + roughly the equivalent of the European Cup prize money every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.