The New European Elite

Ardwick Green Blue

I didn't want Liverpool to go through last night but there's no point in being bitter about it as over the two legs they were far better than Barcelona so fair play to them.

That said, it is clear that the old European elite group of clubs is a busted flush and there is every chance that PL clubs will dominate European competition in the years to come. Barca rely on an ageing Messi surrounded by players that are over the hill or not good enough, Real need a complete rebuild, Bayern has hit the buffers with their policy of buying German players at bargain prices, PSG have peaked and Juventus are ancient. We have an unbelievable squad but if you are honest you have to say we have consistently underperformed in the CL. Liverpool have made the final two years running and this season they have done it whilst pushing us all the way in the league. There is no reason why Spurs can't strengthen their squad and get right up there too. Chelsea have lost their way a bit but if Abramovich regains his interest or sells up then they can be a player too.

You can understand that the new FFP proposals aren't just aimed at us but at the PL as a whole as the combination of the strength of the league and the huge financial fire power is seen as an unacceptable threat to the clubs that have been used to being at the top of European football for decades. Like many, I'm not hugely enamoured with the CL but we'll have to accept that we have to do better in it and I'm sure after this season it will be made our top target and the fighting for four trophies approach will go.

I didn't want Liverpool to go through last night but there's no point in being bitter about it as over the two legs they were far better than Barcelona so fair play to them.

That said, it is clear that the old European elite group of clubs is a busted flush and there is every chance that PL clubs will dominate European competition in the years to come. Barca rely on an ageing Messi surrounded by players that are over the hill or not good enough, Real need a complete rebuild, Bayern has hit the buffers with their policy of buying German players at bargain prices, PSG have peaked and Juventus are ancient. We have an unbelievable squad but if you are honest you have to say we have consistently underperformed in the CL. Liverpool have made the final two years running and this season they have done it whilst pushing us all the way in the league. There is no reason why Spurs can't strengthen their squad and get right up there too. Chelsea have lost their way a bit but if Abramovich regains his interest or sells up then they can be a player too.

You can understand that the new FFP proposals aren't just aimed at us but at the PL as a whole as the combination of the strength of the league and the huge financial fire power is seen as an unacceptable threat to the clubs that have been used to being at the top of European football for decades. Like many, I'm not hugely enamoured with the CL but we'll have to accept that we have to do better in it and I'm sure after this season it will be made our top target and the fighting for four trophies approach will go.

So, Ajax to win it then. ;-)

Guardiola is quite correct, it is a tournament that can turn on the luck of the draw and the tightest of calls. While I concede Liverpool now have the experience of getting to the finals, which Guardiola acknowledges is important for a club's mentality, there is no guarantee that any country or indeed any team is set to enjoy dominance.

So, Ajax to win it then. ;-)

Guardiola is quite correct, it is a tournament that can turn on the luck of the draw and the tightest of calls. While I concede Liverpool now have the experience of getting to the finals, which Guardiola acknowledges is important for a club's mentality, there is no guarantee that any country or indeed any team is set to enjoy dominance.

Of course Ajax can win it (or Spurs) as like you say it's a cup competition. My point wasn't that a PL team or teams will win it every year but that you won't be seeing Real, Barca or Bayern regularly at the business end of it. I do think you will see us, Liverpool and say Spurs and/or Chelsea in the latter stages much more than you have to date.

Of course Ajax can win it (or Spurs) as like you say it's a cup competition. My point wasn't that a PL team or teams will win it every year but that you won't be seeing Real, Barca or Bayern regularly at the business end of it. I do think you will see us, Liverpool and say Spurs and/or Chelsea in the latter stages much more than you have to date.

In the last five years, it’s been the Madrid teams and Juventus that have dominated, with Barcelona appearing once and Bayern absent entirely. I agree that English teams could appear more regularly in finals, but the domestic competition is both a strength and weakness. It makes the clubs strong enough to go deep in the tournament, but it also makes it highly likely that they will face each other in latter rounds, which will then leave the door open for someone else.

Until the PL treats the CL teams with the respect they deserve for representing the League in Europe, then it will be hard.

After the Group Stages, CL teams’ domestic games prior to a CL game should be on Friday night or early Sat, with the following game being a Sunday game.

In addition, the CL dates are known well in advance, so there should be ZERO TOP 6 games on the weekends before or after CL games.

If the PL (and SKY and BT) treated the League (and more importantly, the clubs and players) that lays their golden eggs with the respect they deserve, then we might see more and more PL teams in the latter stages.

Greed is driving the top teams into having to play 60+ games per season (many against the other top teams at the least opportune time) but not the greed of the clubs, the greed of the companies that feed off their success!

Last edited:
4 defeats in the competition this seasons competition alone.

Says more about the poor level of competition they've faced than their "eliteness" no?

Says more about the poor level of competition they've faced than their "eliteness" no?

My main point is the decline of the elite clubs of recent years. All of them are much worse than they were say five years ago and whilst previously we accepted they were a level above us I don’t believe that is the case now.

I also see PL teams getting stronger and it’s clear that the former elite clubs are desperately trying to get measures introduced that will limit the huge financial fire power PL clubs have.

My main point is the decline of the elite clubs of recent years. All of them are much worse than they were say five years ago and whilst previously we accepted they were a level above us I don’t believe that is the case now.

I also see PL teams getting stronger and it’s clear that the former elite clubs are desperately trying to get measures introduced that will limit the huge financial fire power PL clubs have.

Yeah I get your point alright. The former elites are certainly stumbling right now!

The former elites are certainly stumbling and that is exactly why they will push to stitch it up going forward as a closed shop , only open to select few. Self interest will takeover but the lack of competition and repeat fixture formula will kill it off. Personally for me it would be nice to win the CL but i think winning the Premier League has more Kudos

Totally agree.....it should be like FA cup. A random draw even include Europa league teams if you like. One off tie with replay if necessary until last eight where it's two legged.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.