The NHS and its future

New thread here to discuss our NHS, its future and how we fund it.

I've not put this into the general politics thread, nor anywhere near the brexit thread because for me, the NHS has been a political football for far too long as parties use it to score points, make promises they cant or wont keep and systematically underfund it whilst blaming each other for ever increasing operational issues.

For me we need a new tax, ring fenced in its entirety that will fund both the NHS and social care in this country. National insurance is the way to go with increases for those able to afford, especially those over 40 which i am btw as well as richer OAP's in the UK.

The younger section of society would pay a minimum amount as well as those on minimum wage.

If we dont do it under the existing NI contributions then a new, separate tax should be introduced.

Finally, we appoint a business team of business experts to run the whole thing with no input whatsoever from the government of the day other than the treasury collecting tax and passing it on in its entirety.

My thoughts on it and will be interested to hear especially from those who work in the NHS as to their thoughts and ideas as well as everyone else.

The NHS is inextricably linked to social care especially with an ageing population. The current focus is on the NHS but the main issue is the adult social care problem. The government has placed that in the gift of local authorities then systematically cut the local government funding which - when local government plead they can't do anything but...... - means that the Central Govt can effectively wipe their hands of it and say local Govt is in charge of local funding. Meanwhile care homes close and so on. So the NHS problem is not unique to the NHS only.

I am a left leaning voter but credit where credit is due when My raised it in her manifesto I though she was being very brave to try and tackle it but could clearly see it was a vote loser for her in the way it was framed. I don't know the answer but clearly social care and the NHS plus an ageing population means something needs to be done across the board rather than throw money at the NHS only.

So nothing to do with paying for the war then glad we've cleared that up.

I suppose so if you don't count the widows, orphans, destroyed infrastructure, bed ridden solders all on the welfare system. Personally I would say these are the costs of war but obviously you don't

What about smoking, drugs and obesity related admissions and while we're at it we could throw in any injuries related to criminal activity.

Drugs id have no issue with as its illegal and its black market so not taxed.

Booze and fags is taxed and not illegal so we should rightly treat.

My opinion is that some draconian decisions are going to have to be taken about funding and what services should be provided by the NHS.

I am in receipt of the state pension. I am 66. Since reaching 60 I have been on a variety of six prescription medicines for a variety of issues including high blood pressure, chronic pain and arthritic inflammation.
It has not cost me a penny.
It seems crazy to me that I have not paid a penny in NI since reaching the age of 60 and yet I have used the health service infinitely more than before I was 60.
This is going to be true for every pensioner, and is only going to get worse.

I see no reason why NI should not be taken from anyone who pays tax regardless of age and not cease at 60.

When I had my hip done I received exemplary treatment. But why was I not billed for my stay?
I think that here, as in many EU countries, in patients should be billed for their food. And as in other countries they can take out secondary insurance to cover this.

I also have strong opinions about just what treatments should be provided free as I am sure many do.

I get pissed at foreigners getting free treatment as many others do on here. I think action should be taken, but it is not as simple as security guards denying entry to anyone without ID.

As a society we need to open up discussions about these thing and what reforms are necessary.

I agree it should be done as a cross party coalition with my only demand being that there should be no input from people like Hunt, Gove, etc who have put on record in the past their support of privatised medicine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.