The Only Way Is Harpurhey!

Mad Eyed Screamer

Oh Lordy..... seems like Councillor Pat Karney will become a nationwide celeb!!!

<a class="postlink" href="http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1472837_the-only-way-is-harpurhey-in-manchesters-answer-to-towie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... r-to-towie</a>

Tanned toned bodies, glamorous models and posh nightclubs could be making their way north – as Manchester’s answer to the hit TV show TOWIE.
TV bosses are making a new fly-on-the-wall drama, following residents and community leaders as they go about their lives for the next six months. And it is more likely to be a few pints in the Embassy, sun-starved bodies and your typical northern lass that feature in the Harpurhey version.
Called The Estate, the documentary will air on digital channel BBC3 in the summer. It will be made by Dragonfly TV, the company behind reality shows One Born Every Minute, The Hotel and Kill It, Cook It, Eat It. The show will focus on the ward as a whole, but will concentrate on the estate around the Shiredale pub.
Cameras will follow around 20 residents, including the Rev Mike McGurk, vicar at Christ Church on Rochdale Road. Filmmakers have already been to Sunday service at the church and Mike says he is keen to show the area in a positive light. He said: "I am a member of the Harpurhey community and it’s part of the role of the parish priest to be involved in that community. "The indices of deprivation and the statistics don’t lie – there is a lot of poverty here and it is one of the most deprived parts of the country. "But one of the things I’m keen to show is that there is a lot of hope in this community. "There are great people who live in this estate and as a church that’s been here for 183 years, there’s a lot we can do to show the area in a positive light."
Councillor Pat Karney, ward councillor for Harpurhey, said: "This show will put Harpurhey on the map. "We get a lot of negative press, but I think this will prove that this area is full of good, honest people. "We all know this but I think it will prove to the rest of the country what we already know. "So forget Essex – the only way is Harpurhey."
Dragonfly TV were unavailable for comment.
[/i]

I was born and raised in Collyhurst Flats 1965 and when the flats were demolished in the mid 70's we was offered a council house on either the new Lightbowne or Harpurhey estates being built. My parents chose Harpurhey and the estate lay back to back with the Shiredale one in question for this documentary. I lived there for about 15 years and never really noticed or felt it was in any way particularly bad. However over more recent years when I go back to see my parents you can really see the decline, gone are the pubs 'The Ark Royal' (replaced by some Church of Christ) and 'The 200' which has been left derelict for years now.

After leaving Harpurhey I lived in Gorton for 10 years before moving to Denton where I still reside. After living in three of Manchester's inner City areas (Collyhurst/Harpurhey/Gorton) and watched the areas steadily fall into decline I've lost any hope of this council as a whole ever caring or being committed enough to give a damn. Of course there will be individuals like Pat Karney deserving the recognition for his efforts but its a crying shame that most of the areas on the circumference of Manchester City centre are so neglected when they should in fact be the complete opposite and leave a first and lasting impression to visitors of what Manchester has to offer. There has been new work going on around Harpurhey with a new academy wwhich hopefully will breathe some life into the area but I won't be holding my breath.

metalblue said:
This will please BB2, he was always quick to jump to Karney's defence, often making passionate pleas for calm to give the man time to do his great work.

-- Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:25 pm --

IanBishopsHaircut said:
Why would I want to watch family members having sex with each other?

The question is, why wouldn't you?

I remember the Kleeneze kid having some serious manlove for St Patrick - there was talk of a civil partnership between them at one point.
I must admit I miss him in some strange way,as our current crop of wums and crackpots are a pale imitation of a true master.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.