The Only Way Is Harpurhey!

I lived off Carisbrook Street , Harpurhey , for a few years , just near to the Shiredale pub, and the place certainly had it's characters and moments !

My mum worked on Conran Street indoor market , and also in Asda there , and there was always incidents of one kind or another , always cops from Collyhurst in the vicinity ..... but i've got to say that as much as there definitely are rogues in the area , there are also some top notch and down to earth people , who have lived around there for many years ....... people who wouldn't hesitate to help you out , if they thought you needed it.

My primary Schools was in h//hey (Burgess Becker) and I used to work the odd saturday on "the old market" as a kid and can't reconcile that area as the hell hole some people paint it as?

black mamba said:
I lived off Carisbrook Street , Harpurhey , for a few years , just near to the Shiredale pub, and the place certainly had it's characters and moments !

My mum worked on Conran Street indoor market , and also in Asda there , and there was always incidents of one kind or another , always cops from Collyhurst in the vicinity ..... but i've got to say that as much as there definitely are rogues in the area , there are also some top notch and down to earth people , who have lived around there for many years ....... people who wouldn't hesitate to help you out , if they thought you needed it.

My Mam and Dad live near the Shiredale on the 200 estate (although the 200 pub is long gone). They moved there from Collyhurst flats when they were demolished in the 70's and have been there since. Mymam spends her life going up and down to the markets and the asda, I think it just keeps her going. Some great people like you say unfortunately there are some dickheads though too.

Blue2112 said:
I was born and raised in Collyhurst Flats 1965 and when the flats were demolished in the mid 70's we was offered a council house on either the new Lightbowne or Harpurhey estates being built. My parents chose Harpurhey and the estate lay back to back with the Shiredale one in question for this documentary. I lived there for about 15 years and never really noticed or felt it was in any way particularly bad. However over more recent years when I go back to see my parents you can really see the decline, gone are the pubs 'The Ark Royal' (replaced by some Church of Christ) and 'The 200' which has been left derelict for years now.

After leaving Harpurhey I lived in Gorton for 10 years before moving to Denton where I still reside. After living in three of Manchester's inner City areas (Collyhurst/Harpurhey/Gorton) and watched the areas steadily fall into decline I've lost any hope of this council as a whole ever caring or being committed enough to give a damn. Of course there will be individuals like Pat Karney deserving the recognition for his efforts but its a crying shame that most of the areas on the circumference of Manchester City centre are so neglected when they should in fact be the complete opposite and leave a first and lasting impression to visitors of what Manchester has to offer. There has been new work going on around Harpurhey with a new academy wwhich hopefully will breathe some life into the area but I won't be holding my breath.

Individuals like pat carney deserving recognition???? Don't make me laugh!

No offence mate, as you do say that you've been out of the area for some years, but from personal experience I can vouch that carney is a waste of space on the council and totally self serving - it's all about what goes in his pocket!
I'm really sorry if I'm dashing anyones hope here but if he's involved in this debarcle then it's for his own self promotion and nothing to do with the interests of the people of harpurhey.

Blue2112 said:
black mamba said:

My Mam and Dad live near the Shiredale on the 200 estate (although the 200 pub is long gone). They moved there from Collyhurst flats when they were demolished in the 70's and have been there since. Mymam spends her life going up and down to the markets and the asda, I think it just keeps her going. Some great people like you say unfortunately there are some dickheads though too.

Yeah , i used to pass the 200 pub on the way to my mums about ten years ago .... sadly there wasn't really much to choose between any of the pubs around there , and the local food store/post office at nearby Tavistock Square made Crimewatch several months ago as four thugs battered the owners with weapons and stole cash/cigs etc.

I was born in Harpurhey in 1965 lived above a shop on Rochdale Road until the row was knocked down in the mid-70's. We then lived on Church Lane Road with my gran. I went to Manchester Grammar and then to Uni, so left there when I was 18. My mum and dad still live on Church Lane, one of my Aunties lives at the back of Mount Carmel and another up Moston Lane. All are in the 70's and 80's now. I go there most weekends to see them. Most of the people I know who live there are good people but I think the place has declined. My dad who grew up in Collyhurst and worked collecting TV rental money through the 60's and 70's he thinks there is less violence now than then and thinks Harpurhey is no worse in many ways just the buildings are getting older and dilapidated. The people are the same.

black mamba said:
Blue2112 said:
black mamba said:

Yeah , i used to pass the 200 pub on the way to my mums about ten years ago .... sadly there wasn't really much to choose between any of the pubs around there , and the local food store/post office at nearby Tavistock Square made Crimewatch several months ago as four thugs battered the owners with weapons and stole cash/cigs etc.
Alright BM I hear what you’re saying, but to be fair Tavistock square is nowhere near Harpurhey it’s a bus ride away at least ;0.Your probably referring to the post office where John the postmaster was assaulted and it made crimewatch,was that the one? If so that isn't classed as Harpurhey to locals.

jamiegrimble said:
black mamba said:
Blue2112 said:

Alright BM I hear what you’re saying, but to be fair Tavistock square is nowhere near Harpurhey it’s a bus ride away at least ;0.Your probably referring to the post office where John the postmaster was assaulted and it made crimewatch,was that the one? If so that isn't classed as Harpurhey to locals.

Tavistock Square , in the estate near to the former Ark Royal pub , has a Harpurhey address , Jimmy!

You could walk to both places , in less than five minutes , from the Shiredale ...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tavistock%20square%20harpurhey&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-england-manchester-19988729&ei=6g8HUZPyEIXW0QXI0AE&usg=AFQjCNGa4e4QqYNNfwe2kcectLL_yEKXHg&bvm=bv.41524429,d.d2k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 4429,d.d2k</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/74408/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/74408/</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.