The 'persecution of old men'..has to be read to be believed.

samharris

Human rights barrister says age of consent should be lowered to 13 to stop the persecution of old men..

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/stop-persecution-of-old-men-by-lowering-age-of-consent-to-13-says-top-human-rights-barrister-8608794.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 08794.html</a>

A senior human rights barrister has sparked a storm of outrage after calling for the age of consent to be lowered to 13 in order to prevent the ‘persecution of old men’.

Barbara Hewson made the controversial suggestion in an article for the online magazine 'Spiked'.

In the column, Hewson, who is a barrister at Hardwicke in London, stated that the move was necessary in the wake of the Savile scandal.

She refers to Operation Yewtree as the 'Savile Inquisition' and describes its inquiry as reminiscent of Soviet-era Russia.

She goes on to suggest some of the offences investigated were ‘low level misdemeanours’.

"The low-level misdemeanours with which Stuart Hall was charged are nothing like serious crime," she writes, adding: "Ordinarily, Hall’s misdemeanours would not be prosecuted, and certainly not decades after the event."

Stuart Hall, a former presenter of 'It's A Knockout', last week admitted 14 offences involving 13 victims dating back to the late 1960s, including an assault on a nine-year-old girl.

Hewson goes on to describe Operation Yewtree as a 'manipulation of the British criminal-justice system' and 'a grotesque spectacle.'

She calls for the reduction of the age of consent writing: "As for law reform, now regrettably necessary, my recommendations are remove complainant anonymity, introduce a strict statute of limitations for criminal prosecutions and civil actions and reduce the age of consent to 13."

Hewson also argues for a strict statute of limitations to prevent prosecutions after a long period of time and an end to complainant anonymity.

Peter Watt, Director of the NSPCC helpline said: “These outdated and simply ill-informed views would be shocking to hear from anyone but to hear them from a highly experienced barrister simply beggars belief.

“Stuart Hall has pleaded guilty to abusing children as young as 9 years-old, we think most people would agree that crimes of this nature are incredibly serious.

"Thankfully the law, and most people, are very clear on this matter. To minimise and trivialise the impact of these offences for victims in this way is all but denying that they have in fact suffered abuse at all. Any suggestion of lowering the age of consent could put more young people at risk from those who prey on vulnerable young people."

"And we must strongly defend the right for victims to remain anonymous and to ask for justice no matter when they choose to come forward. Many who are abused are bullied, blackmailed and shamed into staying silent, often well into adulthood. We must always be prepared to act no matter how long ago the abuse occurred. The actions of those who speak out also protects others from abuse and gives confidence to other victims to come forward."

I wonder what she'd say if it were her daughter ??

What is the world coming to.

"The low-level misdemeanours with which Stuart Hall was charged are nothing like serious crime".

I think touching up a 9 year old is pretty serious.

Weird how there's always some people hell bent on defending paedos.

Even if the age of consent was 13, the word 'consent' is a little bit important.

It's time we all, as a society, stopped defending, hiding and enabling paedos.

The Stuart Hall case wasn't 12 though was she, she was 9.

Thats way to young man, disgusting.

As for Age of Consent, there are grey areas.

I've seen teenage lads (16+) picking up girls, but asking them if they are over 16, when one girl says she's 15 they ignore her, but her mate is 16 and they end up getting her number and doing whatever.

it is daft when you consider the 15yr old could be more physically & mentally developed than the 16yr old girl.
I've met girls out there who are still in their teens who are way more mentally developed than some of the women out on a night out who are my age (28) yet act like 10yr olds.

Age is just a number. but saying that some of these women were like 9yrs old when these celebs were doing whatever with them... That would of been blatantly obvious of how developed they were at 9yrs of age and it's disgusting.

Too many rich people being nicked so they change the law....

mat said:
Too many rich people being nicked so they change the law....

I think they're goin' through them all alphabetically !

In my opinion nobody should be named until they are actually convicted , no matter what they're accused of.

Lowering the age of consent will solve nothing ..... 15/16 year olds are either children , or they're not .

Never Mind The Pollocks said:
What is the world coming to.

"The low-level misdemeanours with which Stuart Hall was charged are nothing like serious crime".

I think touching up a 9 year old is pretty serious.

It will be deemed to be a low level misdemeanour if yer the other side of 70 years of age and have some connection to a broadcasting station or the Palace of Westminster. For the rest of us it'll be a very serious crime - which it would be if anyone applied any common sense to the issue.

Consent doesnt matter to a peado im sure.

All i know, is that when i was getting sucked off at 14 and getting my end away at 15 i was technically breaking the law! I also shagged a 19 year old when i was 15...she could of been arrested for that even though i was loving it

samharris said:
I wonder what she'd say if it were her daughter ??

I listened to this woman on Radio 2 and she was asked what she would do if a bloke put his hand up her daughters skirt.

I am not quite sure I heard her right but it was something along the lines of "tell him off and not let him near my daughter again."

Jeremy Vine and the other guest were a bit flabbergasted by the response.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.