the poznan ..

It's another example of how miserable football supporters can be in this country. It's a "too cool for school" attitude. Lads will have a right old sing song in a pub with their mates before a game but put them in a stand on their own and they become too shy.
It's been mentioned on here many times that the Poznan died when the club got involved and started printing t-shirts but that's ridiculous if true. Imagine if the German clubs stopped doing things when their clubs got involved. Some of the most inspiring scenes have been the players and fans coming together at the end of matches. Would our fans leg it and claim it all to be cringeworthy? I remember Raul sat on the fence after a Schalke Champions League match getting songs going with a megaphone. Utter class.

Let's get the Poznan going again, can anyone honestly give a good argument against something that was a laugh, got a good atmosphere going, gave us good publicity, made us stand out from fans of other teams, was enjoyed by the players and used during our trophy winning seasons?

andyhinch said:
de niro said:
the Poznan was great and it stamped us on the football landscape in this country. then good old stiff upper lip shit spoils it. be proud to be different for once. the poles were and still are.
With this advice should I go naked to the first match next season with my knob painted yellow in a banana tribute ?

And paint yer bollocks red and yer could go as a fruit salad!

citykev28 said:
It's another example of how miserable football supporters can be in this country. It's a "too cool for school" attitude. Lads will have a right old sing song in a pub with their mates before a game but put them in a stand on their own and they become too shy.
It's been mentioned on here many times that the Poznan died when the club got involved and started printing t-shirts but that's ridiculous if true. Imagine if the German clubs stopped doing things when their clubs got involved. Some of the most inspiring scenes have been the players and fans coming together at the end of matches. Would our fans leg it and claim it all to be cringeworthy? I remember Raul sat on the fence after a Schalke Champions League match getting songs going with a megaphone. Utter class.

Let's get the Poznan going again, can anyone honestly give a good argument against something that was a laugh, got a good atmosphere going, gave us good publicity, made us stand out from fans of other teams, was enjoyed by the players and used during our trophy winning seasons?

Exactly.

The players love it and want us to do it. The club love us doing it and use images of it in promotional material. The media love it and use it when advertising, not just City games, but any football. I love it and know loads of blues that do too.

However, it died out because we never did it properly. It was like a half-arsed, lame, Mexican wave Poznań load of shite when we did it at the Etihad. We did it too much and rinsed it for a time then people got bored of it. The club jumped on it and made t-shirts of it (club and fans although go hand-in-hand in some ways should always remain separate when it comes to atmosphere or things like the Poaznań or Big Bananas - as soon as the club jump on that it becomes lame. Ultras groups refuse donations from clubs towards anything to do with atmosphere or tifos etc.).

We only ever nailed it properly at Wembley against United and Stoke in 2011 and a handful of away games. Oh, and I forgot about this one, after the 2011 FA Cup trophy parade when everyone was in the stadium. Other than that we've never done it properly and intuitive I that's the main reason it died out because it just became half-hearted and done incorrectly.

For me, as well as the Anfield Kop in full colour:
[bigimg]http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Anfield-The-Kop.jpg[/bigimg]

, City fans doing the Poznań:
[bigimg]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/01/article-1382187-0BDCE65C00000578-463_634x378.jpg[/bigimg]

is the best sight of fans in English football. And good sights in English football are very few and far between because fans in England are absolutely dreadful when it comes to atmosphere and colour.

BRING BACK THE POZNAŃ (but do it properly, all at the same time, at once, all bouncing together, keep it going if you're where it starts off instead of turning round and shouting "Ci-ty Ci-ty" too early before everywhere else has caught on...and everyone everywhere else get off your backsides and get doing it earlier instead of waiting for it to come round to you!).

You're right mate- I think the club really loved it as it was a great tool for marketing. In a way it added to the brand- we were the team who celebrated on a particular fashion. The club really played on that, and apart from the fact we stole it, they wanted the Poznan to become synonymous with city and helping to grow the brand. You have seen on those CITC videos where school children are doing it etc. in a way it was a differentiating factor for city- to look at it from business terms.

citykev28 said:

Clubs don't get involved though. Ultras raise the funds themselves for all tifos and atmosphere related things. They refuse any donations from the clubs. Some of the tifos you see European clubs come up with cost up to and over €10,000. There was one that Shalke did last season that cost nearly €14,000 but it was all raised and all organised and all choreographed by the fans only. Not one single thing was done by the club, and this is true of all Ultras tifos and organised choreographed things. Clubs trust the fans and leave them to it; and that's the difference between us here in England and the rest of Europe. Clubs get their mythering hands all over everything any fans want to do in England. Showsec are out in force at times and you're not even allowed to stand up and sing, AT THE FOOTBALL, for fuck's sake.

We've got a lot to fucking learn about atmosphere here in England, and at City we're as quiet as any if the quietest grounds you can mention. But one thing we were doing that was going the right way in these terms, was the Poznań. If we could just get it going again, BUT PROPERLY, and don't do t too often (save it for away wins or when we're ever three or four goals at home) and get ourselves going as a set of fans.

The Poznań created a positive, fun, happy atmosphere. Everyone involved had a smile on their face. For a while after it there was a buzz in the ground. It should return!

I think we are in for a big season and think the Poznan is not dead and buried yet.

Just do it, for f--k's sakes!

It was done at the Wembly semi-final, this year and it was great fun where I was. Then I logged on here and found the usual bitching and mewling about how it wasn't done "properly".

Oh, piss off!! It's a bit of fun. It's not supposed to be choreographed or rated. We'll not be parading it on front of Simon Cowell any day soon, and there's no need for every twat on here and beyond to start giving each and every celebration marks out of ten, either.

Who cares how it looks as long as them that are doing it are enjoying the moment. I don't know about you but if I gave a curse about how I looked, I'd never leave the house to do anything. (I'm very ugly. Hide your children!)

Caveman said:
Clubs don't get involved though. Ultras raise the funds themselves for all tifos and atmosphere related things. They refuse any donations from the clubs. Some of the tifos you see European clubs come up with cost up to and over €10,000. There was one that Shalke did last season that cost nearly €14,000 but it was all raised and all organised and all choreographed by the fans only. Not one single thing was done by the club, and this is true of all Ultras tifos and organised choreographed things. Clubs trust the fans and leave them to it; and that's the difference between us here in England and the rest of Europe. Clubs get their mythering hands all over everything any fans want to do in England. Showsec are out in force at times and you're not even allowed to stand up and sing, AT THE FOOTBALL, for fuck's sake.

Aah right, so the fact that this was tied to the top of the stadium roof itself had nothing to do with the club? Do they give the fans a key to the stadium and tell them to do what they want?

What exactly is wrong with the club and fans working together?
30sy742.png

citykev28 said:
Caveman said:

Aah right, so the fact that this was tied to the top of the stadium roof itself had nothing to do with the club? Do they give the fans a key to the stadium and tell them to do what they want?

What exactly is wrong with the club and fans working together?
30sy742.png

Health and safety stops pretty much everything in this country mate, just getting a flag into a match is hard enough nowadays'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.