The price of football and falling attendances

Football's bubble will burst as the average age on the terraces increases, the younger potential matchgoing fan no longer can justify having to pay those prices of say £40 for 90mins when they can buy Fifa 13 for £40 and get a full years worth of entertainment. Or use the £40 when they go to the Party they've just been invited to on Facebook Events.

There is so much more on offer as a distraction for the generations coming up that Football will definitely take a sidestep and just be another form of entertainment, like Cinema, Concerts and so on... The whole tribalism mentality is going (or has gone) as this generation consumes football entirely different, choosing their club based on which players they like, or which teams wins more for them on Fifa Multiplayer. There is the exception to this of course.

City went into panic mode when the new owners came in as they realised this which is why the Family stand was introduced, and this new City Kicks was introduced (which has online games for the kids to play, invitations to free cinema screenings) oh and as you may know - City signing a very important deal for our future fanbase with EA Sports, who produce the Fifa videogames.

The club are going about it the right way in attracting the younger fan but not every club is in our position financially.

I can only afford to go as I don't have kids and my bills are very low.
I still pick and choose away games. I'd go to every one of them but this is financially not doable.

More and more I find myself using the words "consumer" rather than fan or supporter. and when I describe the game I find myself using the words "product" rather than "football"

Recently having been banned from the stadium for 3 matches for "persistent standing" this has made me realise more how easily replaceable I am as a fan, how little City care for my support as they pursue finding that Corporate plastic fan, and where Football will be in the next 15yrs:

[bigimg]http://www.visitbritainsuperblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Royal-Ascot-e1302278186222.jpg[/bigimg]

Exactly like the racing at Royal Ascot. Fancy suits and all that shit.

Myself on my income will be left to watch it at home. Possibly getting to a Final at Wembley as a one-off.

it doesn't have to be like this, however it will be as even if Safe Standing is introduced the clubs will still charge the same prices for these areas as the demand is still there. People are still willing to be ripped off being blind to this fact through the love of the club.

Until fans get together and forget club allegiances, organising match boycotts the clubs will do fuck all and still bleed us dry.

Wonder what percentage of young match going season ticket city fans who when become adult paying fans stay season ticket fans?

cheddar404 said:
mancitytmdanttom said:
gh_mcfc said:
Thats the point though. In some areas of the country especially London this will be the case. Elsewhere it wont be.

Away attendances are dropping off everywhere due to ticket prices. If you have a season ticket you tend not to notice costs for 1 of home games especially as many cup games are reduced.

Those without STs pick and choose game and go a lot less frequently in my experience.

That's where you're wrong - I'm a season ticket holder (Have been since we moved in the new stadium) and I go to as many away games as possible (Only missed 1 this season so far and only missed 4 last season) - And have not missed a home game since 2003

Ah yes, I can see the extensive evidence data you've compiled using your sample of 1.

LOL!

As the name suggests, I live in the South, and the London away games have always been the most do-able. For the first time ever this season though I've had to pick and choose, rather than go to the whole lot. My eldest son is now 16, so at the majority of grounds he now cops for a full adult ticket (a right fucking racket), despite the fact he's still at school, so by the time I've paid for me, him, and his younger brother, each London game (plus Reading and Southampton this year) costs about 140 quid in tickets alone, never mind train fares. 140 x 8 games = 1120 quid. These are epic sums of money and I can't see the situation changing. The long term impact is obvious

ban-mcfc said:
We have sold out near enough every game for the last 2/3 seasons.

Our average attendence is 46/47 depending on how many away fans turn up.

Go back over our history and there wont be many higher average attendances than what we have now.

That being said away games are ridiculous. West brom cost over a £100 for me, for the ticket, train and a few beers.

Stoke was nearly as much. The sooner they re-introduce standing and drop the prices the better.

The argument for standing can be well and truly won, and all authorities involved might, just might, agree, but if it means lower revenue I can't see the clubs going along with it! Money is everything these days in football. Every last cent, penny and groat counts. Thank you, Michel, thank you Uefa, thank you PL chairmen (well, most of 'em)!

All seater stadiums have never been popular.Certain sections of a crowd want to be seated and that has always been the case.Much of maine rd was seated.At many grounds the seats are widely not used in some sections and a standing area is created.Jimmy Hill introduced all seating at coventry and it wasn't a success.It would be nice to have the choice but after hillsborough it may be a long time coming.Cost wise it is expensive but compared to other sports or live entertainment concerts etc it isn't.I remember some years back many claiming they didn't go because of hooliganism etc.Now that isn't such a problem these people attend but to some they spoil it.Football is an evolving sport and so are those who choose to attend

waspish said:
Wonder what percentage of young match going season ticket city fans who when become adult paying fans stay season ticket fans?

I gave my season ticket up 2 seasons ago due to the price and being out of work and went to matches when I had enough money.. Not missed an away day this season bar Fulham and missed 2 home games including cup games.. The price does affect younger fans due to lack of work. Like at west ham I spend £180 over the day inc ticket and travel that was a whole weeks wage. We've stil got one of the cheapest ticket prices in the prem but the lack of work etc for young people in and around manchester makes going to the games a struggle.

I have read the first two pages so if this is told on one of the next I might repeat it.

Yes - in Germany the standing tickets are cheaper - and even the normal seats are a lot cheaper than in the EPL clubs.

But e.g. Manchester United made 109 millions GBP match day income in 2010/11 whereas Bayern made 84 million GBP.

First looks like the rags were making more profit - but Bayern only had 17 home matches in the Bundesliga, 4 in the CL and 2 in the German Cup. 23 matches with 69,000 visitors. 3.65 million GBP per match or 52,9 GBP per visitor.

Manchester United played 19 home matches in the EPL, 6 home matches in the CL, 3 rounds in the FA Cup and 1 in Community Shield - 29 home matches in a stadium that usually fills with 75,000. Even if I forget round one of the Community Shield it is an income of 3,89 million GBP per match - or - 51,90 GBP per visitor.

So actually Bayern has a bigger match day income per capita than the rags have even if they have save standing and offer cheaper tickets to the usual crowd. Sounds strange, or? How come?

Bayern does a Sherwood Forest saga - or plays Robin Hood. Take it from the rich and give it to the poor. They have very low prices for the standing terraces, have decent prices for the usual visitors - and take big chunks for the business seats and business boxes. So it is the business customers that finance cheaper entrance fees for the normal crowd - the plastic fans in the VIP areas that get their champagne and whatever finance the Bratwurst and beer crowd. Maybe that is the difference between Germany and England - we are a little bit more social...

And it is not only Bayern that does like this. The other clubs like Schalke, Dortmund or HSV just do the same. Van der Vaart just bought one of this boxes for his family and friends that visit him in Hamburg for about 120,000 EUR a season - it is for about 12 or 20 persons.

In another thread before I tried to explain how the clubs can offer the public transport tickets with the tickets - that is just a calculation and a deal with the public transport agencies - no state help or anything. Like this everybody pays about 2 EUR more for the ticket and the 20 per cent that really have profit from it as they come from farer away in that regional transport system save up to 20 or 30 EUR.

Gallager91 said:
waspish said:

I gave my season ticket up 2 seasons ago due to the price and being out of work and went to matches when I had enough money.. Not missed an away day this season bar Fulham and missed 2 home games including cup games.. The price does affect younger fans due to lack of work. Like at west ham I spend £180 over the day inc ticket and travel that was a whole weeks wage. We've stil got one of the cheapest ticket prices in the prem but the lack of work etc for young people in and around manchester makes going to the games a struggle.
ive carried on my season ticket (im 20), but ive cut down on aways this year. did em all last, just cannot afford it. i know it is difficult but somewhere down the line we as a set of supporters need to be strong and protest about it, £59 quid for chelsea? im hearing £64 for arsenal? its become the norm to accept a ticket around £40 which is outragous in my opinion. needs to be stopped, but wont be unless serious action is taken.

£27 to see City Dortmund in Germany
£53 to see rags in Manchester

While I agree that our season tickets are reasonable value, I feel that the price of tickets for blue members are getting too high, and as prices continue to rise it will largely be the blue members that the club will require to buy season tickets that are given up due to old age, redundancy or current season ticket holders just not being able to afford it anymore.

While I accept the argument that supply and demand and us selling out nearly all home games would suggest that we are priced correctly, as more of the traditional fans are priced out of attending, the atmosphere will continue to suffer

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.