The Pro Road Cycling Thread

Shands

The centenary Tour De France route has been announced this morning, reasonably balanced but perhaps not as hard as some were expecting.

Three shorter time trials – one team, one with climbs and one conventional.

Mt. Ventoux (MTF) , Col de Peyresourde, Col De la Madeleine all in there along with a double climb of Alpe d’Huez (MTF). No Col Du Tourmalet.

Potentially perhaps a few too many sprint finishes, but the last one on the Champs Elysess should be special as it’s due to concude after ten at night. The opening stage is a sprint too so Cav (in his new Omega team) could be in with a great shot of getting the yellow jersey.

Bradley Wiggins has now revealed that he intends focus on the Giro next year and will go to the tour as a domestique for Froome.

Re: The Road Cycling Thread

Tuearts right boot said:
Surprised to see the 8.30 am sprint down Park Rd Timperley isn't on the agenda.

Alas I think the organisers deemed that potential stage to be just too tough for the pro's - we don't want them having to turn to perfromance enhancers now do we!

Well Wiggins will never be able to win with that course. Superman would struggle, its unbelievable! He will probably win the Giro and Vuelta. Hopefully he will return the favour for Froome.
It will need to be the best and cleanest year for cycling ever to try and redeem itself

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Well Wiggins will never be able to win with that course. Superman would struggle, its unbelievable! He will probably win the Giro and Vuelta. Hopefully he will return the favour for Froome.
It will need to be the best and cleanest year for cycling ever to try and redeem itself

I agree it's not that suited to Wiggins but on first impression I don't think the course is all that demanding, certainly not in comparison to say this last Vuelta. There's only two stages in the Pyrenees and then a long gap before the Alps. Even Ventoux only comes at the end of a virtually flat, all be it long, stage.

I suppose it does make sense from a SKY perspective to have Wiggins ride the Giro and Froome leader for the Tour, it'll just be odd to see the reigning holder content to play second fiddle.

Been trying to work out what team SKY might send, not easy to tell.

Shands said:
The centenary Tour De France route has been announced this morning, reasonably balanced but perhaps not as hard as some were expecting.

Three shorter time trials – one team, one with climbs and one conventional.

Mt. Ventoux (MTF) , Col de Peyresourde, Col De la Madeleine all in there along with a double climb of Alpe d’Huez (MTF). No Col Du Tourmalet.

Potentially perhaps a few too many sprint finishes, but the last one on the Champs Elysess should be special as it’s due to concude after ten at night. The opening stage is a sprint too so Cav (in his new Omega team) could be in with a great shot of getting the yellow jersey.

Bradley Wiggins has now revealed that he intends focus on the Giro next year and will go to the tour as a domestique for Froome.

Did u see the interviews on Eurosport afterward? Cav & Wiggins taking the piss on air; it could've gone tits up very easily!

Froome said course not as tough as he expected; thought I detected the merest hint of disappointment in his voice

Stayed in the Vaucluse a few years back and had a drive up Mount Ventoux, it was bad enough driving up it in an Audi, nevermind on a bike.

Awful timing,considering the Lance Armstrong affair.
Theres a revealing interview about Brad Wiggins plans,as far as the tour goes in the link below,+ a video of the route.
Defending champion Bradley Wiggins confirmed after the official unveiling that he would concentrate on the Giro d'Italia next year and do his best to support Team Sky colleague Froome, confirming that he will definitely start the race.

And he laughed off suggestions that he would find it hard playing second fiddle.

"I haven't got that much of an ego. It was always about winning one Tour de France for me and I'm proud of the way that I did it," he said.
"Cycling's a team sport and I wouldn't have won last year if it hadn't been for the help of my team-mates, so if I can play a part in one of them winning next year that would be great.
"If everything goes to plan and I get the nod to do the Giro, that's what is going to happen."
Froome would be Team Sky's leader on the Tour, which will feature four mountaintop finishes and some 65km of individual time trial compared to this year's 101.4km. Wiggins's victory was built on his pre-eminence in time trials; this year, that skill will be far less important than strength in the Alps and Pyrenees.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...rates-centenary-prestige-route-101253989.html

At last, cycling is the new golf!

I'm looking to buy a Bianchi road bike. Any bike heads on here with tips and hints, decent cycling routes around the North West. I'm looking at spending about a grand, maybe more. Been to Evans to have a gander but not sure about buying brand new for my first proper bike.

Froome just tweeted he thinks the Tour will be decided on the Ventoux satge which comes after 2 weeks of racing and the climb is at the end of a 240km stage!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.