The Quality of Our Press Has Gone Down - Agree / Disagree?

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Jumanji, 15 Sep 2019.

1. domalino

domalino

I can see that team getting on the pitch but as 433 with Fern at CB and Jesus-Aguero-Sterling as a front 3.

2. tolmie's hairdoo

tolmie's hairdoo

I just don't think Fern can give us the aerial presence that Mendy would on defending set-pieces, so I looked at a way of incorporating Mendy from an attacking POV?

Also, I don't think Rodri is able yet to come short and receive the ball on the half turn like Fern, he's more of a shielder of the ball, using his size to get himself out of trouble.

To me, the ball seems to be going back to the centre-halves a lot more than previously and Rodri can't get back in quick enough, he needs another foil, perhaps.

With just two fit and recognised centre-backs on the fit list, can't see Pep hanging either out to dry between now and January?

Our full-backs, however....

3. Paul1970

Paul1970

Wouldn’t go anywhere near Everton

4. willipp

willipp

I get that, what i don't get is the hysteria a bad performance generates. We go from being the greatest side the PL has ever seen to a weak team that can be got at in the blink of an eye.

5. domalino

domalino

Mendy would be in the team too.

Walker/Cancelo-Stones-Fernandinho-Mendy
    Rodri-Bernardo-KDB
    Sterling-Aguero-Jesus

I think having Fern behind Rodri would solve a lot of the problems you're talking about. Also we know from Gundogan they always try to set up in possession as 3 defenders behind 2 midfielders, and at the moment that's Walker-Stones-Otamendi behind Rodri and Zinchenko who is tucking in. If we played the team I put above, that'd turn into Cancelo/Walker-Stones-Mendy behind Fernandinho and Rodri next to each other.

tolmie's hairdoo likes this.
  6. Gorton_Tubster

Gorton_Tubster

The quality of our press has been declining since the internet was made. All of the reporters are now just Cut and Paste experts.

Wrong sort of Press I suppose but I dont want to talk about this atrocious redcafe style thread :)

Colin Bells Boots likes this.
  7. OB1

OB1

The game on Saturday was basically played in Norwich's half.

Norwich had not much more than 20 touches of the ball in or around our box.

A few poor moments, including some very uncharacteristic ones, cost us.

It's far too soon to bemoaning our press.

8. Psychedelic Casual

Psychedelic Casual

You say Kompany was relentless, and while he ended the season well with a good run of games - he only played four games for us between 1st September to 27th February.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2019
  9. Burtonblue

Burtonblue

I think the new rule allowing defenders to play the ball in the box from the keeper is definitely affecting the efficiency of the press as it makes it much easier for the keeper to release the ball.
    This combined with the fact more and more teams are playing out from the back and getting better at is as a result is probably why our press is not as effective as it has been.
    Playing out from the back is becoming the norm now rather than the exception.

dennishasdoneit and BosnianBlue like this.
  10. Tricky_Trev

Tricky_Trev

Mendy would still be on the pitch to defend set pieces though. How does our formation affect defending set pieces? Maybe I’m missing your point.