The real old fans - come back.

The reason why football crowds are so quiet these days is that fans are so old.

Crowds in the old days of the 60s to the 80s used to have many more young men and boys.

Nowadays there are many older, middle-aged men, and any boys who attend are with adults, not with groups of friends.

And sitting down like you do at the theatre doesn't help.

It's all a bit bland these days at big grounds.

The best experiences I've had atmosphere-wise at football recently has been at small, lower league grounds where standing is still allowed and lots of locals all get really behind their team.

Looking around where I was sat there was alot of fans who seemed to have taken advantage of the number of season ticket holders who are not in the scheme who had not taken up thier usual seat.

It was about 75 - 25 % split of "new" face to existing season tickets holders.

This is bound to affect atmosphere but its better than empty seats!

After yesterday they might not be in rush to come back!

Lucky Toma said:
awest said:
We need them back in numbers to get behind the lads when we are struggling. The new fans seem to have to wait until we are 3-0 up before getting behind the team. Surely we are not turning into the prawn sandwich brigade are we?

The notion that the 'real old' fans used to get behind the team is a complete myth.

A galvanising chorus of 'Come on City' would follow a set-back but if things didnt immediately turn around the moans and groans would persist until the final whistle. These would be accompanied by individual players being scapegoated along with whistles and boos.

We used to be pessimistic, impossible to please, and sometimes outright cruel. Just like today.

Wagon wheels, LT. Wagon wheels.

In the old days Maine Road was a roaring cauldron every week, we all shook hands through the segregation fences, clapped the team off the field at the end and bonked each other on the heads with our bananas all the way home.

Don't you read the forum?

Good post Urmston...

I understand people will go to the Match for different experiences, some will like the Royal Ascot type experience.

I don't go for this, as many others don't.

I'm aware of many Blues who no longer go to matches as they just don't like the experience any more.

It seems this is what ADUG want however, this horse racing F1 day out shit for the middleclasses that most fans can't even afford.

Agree with the point re the video at half time - it totally replicated everything we despise about the rags. In CB level 2 - each week there are more and more foreign fans - no offence but I'm getting concerned about the day trippers and the impact on our core Manchester support. It's getting obvious the club doesn't want people like me - 25 years a season ticket holder in that part of the stadium.

Didsbury Dave said:
Lucky Toma said:
awest said:
We need them back in numbers to get behind the lads when we are struggling. The new fans seem to have to wait until we are 3-0 up before getting behind the team. Surely we are not turning into the prawn sandwich brigade are we?

The notion that the 'real old' fans used to get behind the team is a complete myth.

A galvanising chorus of 'Come on City' would follow a set-back but if things didnt immediately turn around the moans and groans would persist until the final whistle. These would be accompanied by individual players being scapegoated along with whistles and boos.

We used to be pessimistic, impossible to please, and sometimes outright cruel. Just like today.

Wagon wheels, LT. Wagon wheels.

In the old days Maine Road was a roaring cauldron every week, we all shook hands through the segregation fences, clapped the team off the field at the end and bonked each other on the heads with our bananas all the way home.

Don't you read the forum?

I laughed Dave. Very good... But you forgot to mention the hot and beefy.

This season it's as if the Kippax corner fans from last year have all stopped going and been replaced by others who don't sing. Always sang last year, this year they're not much better than the rest of the stadium. We were outsung by Wigan yesterday ffs.

M24 Citizen said:
This season it's as if the Kippax corner fans from last year have all stopped going and been replaced by others who don't sing. Always sang last year, this year they're not much better than the rest of the stadium. We were outsung by Wigan yesterday ffs.

I think in cup games quite a few don't go or move elsewhere???<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:17 pm --<br /><br />
We are City not Chelsea said:
mancityvstoke said:
Paulpowersleftfoot said:
Possibly the most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen at the club
They had Utd shirts on last season

Indonesian. And ten of them were at York away.

wow.........loyal.

Here was me thinking...................

mancityvstoke said:
M24 Citizen said:

I think in cup games quite a few don't go or move elsewhere???

Indonesia?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.