the sad demise of stretford arndale

warpig

I love Stretford Arndale. Well, i used to love Stretford Arndale.....

Before the Trafford Centre introduced the idea of infection free shopping to the area, everyone shopped at Stretford Arndale. It was the law. At its height in the 1980's Stretford Arndale boasted a rather impressive water feature, fish tanks that harboured life and a Stationary Box. These were happy times in my young and formative life, also a time when the number of oddballs were diluted by normal people. Alas these days are no more, Stretford Arndale is now the home of yobs, weirdos and a worrying number of people who aren't in possession of all their limbs (usually found in the sit down chippy by Sands). The water feature is now gone, the market is shut down and the fish tanks a long distant memory.

Today I went to Stretford Arndale and spotted a man that only Stretford Arndale could harbour. He was sitting outside the old Woolworths spraying shaving foam all over the place. Nobody batted an eyelid. To make matters worse you now have to pay to use the multi-storey car park. How dare they! The guy who came up to me and asked for 9p was the final straw.

So there you go my last visit to the mall....................

until next week :)

warpig said:
I love Stretford Arndale. Well, i used to love Stretford Arndale.....

Before the Trafford Centre introduced the idea of infection free shopping to the area, everyone shopped at Stretford Arndale. It was the law. At its height in the 1980's Stretford Arndale boasted a rather impressive water feature, fish tanks that harboured life and a Stationary Box. These were happy times in my young and formative life, also a time when the number of oddballs were diluted by normal people. Alas these days are no more, Stretford Arndale is now the home of yobs, weirdos and a worrying number of people who aren't in possession of all their limbs (usually found in the sit down chippy by Sands). The water feature is now gone, the market is shut down and the fish tanks a long distant memory.

Today I went to Stretford Arndale and spotted a man that only Stretford Arndale could harbour. He was sitting outside the old Woolworths spraying shaving foam all over the place. Nobody batted an eyelid. To make matters worse you now have to pay to use the multi-storey car park. How dare they! The guy who came up to me and asked for 9p was the final straw.

So there you go my last visit to the mall....................

until next week :)

That delhi type butchers in stretford arndale is top notch,whenever i pass i nip in and get some meat,also you cant beat wilkinsons for a bargain!

That is beautiful warpig, you should write a collection of short stories. I'd buy them.

I remember when it opened in about 1970. Tales of its wonders eventually reached Urmston and my friends and I cycled up at lunchtime from the boys' grammar school to have a look at it. We were not disappointed.

I still like it. Obviously the upper tier died out fairly quickly and it is no longer seen as the place to shop but it is OK.

I remember the water feature which people used to throw coins into. As a schoolboy I used to scoop out 2p coins as you could get some sweets with that amount of cash in those days.

That sad little cafe stuck right in the middle of the main floor is a joke though.

dannybcity said:
clairepartyring said:
dannybcity said:
It is a very sad place now, occasionally I pop in after I've been the dentist.

Is that the only time you go????

Sorry,just thought it was funny!!

Yeah, I've no other reason to go to Stretford these days although I suppose it was an unnecessary window into my life.

It is a great place to go,but more of a drop in for a few bits type of place on my way home, i like anywhere where there are bargains to be had!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.