The season after winning the PL

Yep, yet people still witter on about intangibles like retaining the title etc, etc. Just bollocks to try and take the shine of what no team has before or probably ever will achieve again in the PL era.
I'm gobsmacked any blue would look for a but after last season,i doubt very much even we can match that again,you have to be realistic but we are centurians,the first and maybe the last,enjoy

I agree with Kompany. These are his words:

"People are asking whether we are the best Premier League side in history, but the answer is no, because we have a lot of work to still do.

“But in our defence, we can only be judged on a period of time, so we need, two, three or four years in a row and if at the end of this we are consistent like we have been this season, then perhaps but we have taken one step, that all we can do at the moment.

https://www.mancity.com/news/first%20team/first%20team%20news/2018/april/man%20city%20premier%20league%20champions%20vincent%20kompany%20reaction

If Afc is considered a great side (3 PL titles in 7 seasons culminating with the invincibles)

City must also be considered a great side with a similar record ...replace invincibles with Centurions

I understand why people are talking about 2012/13 & 2014/15 but the circumstances are totally different. In 2012 we had a great team but Mancini had alienated just about everyone from Khaldoon to the tea lady and had effectively resigned (until he got a new contract). He didn't have the trust of must of his players so they were never going to repeat the performance of the previous season.

Pellegrini inherited a disciplined team that was glad to see the back of Mancini and they responded well to his less abrasive approach. But he failed to build on that double-winning season and the team was already showing the weaknesses that became clear when Pep took over.

This time is a bit like 2012, where we have a very strong squad but we also have a manager who's committed to the club and has the respect of his players. Of course we've still got to go out and win it but with the addition of Mahrez we have the van Persie equivalent that we failed to get in 2012.

I understand why people are talking about 2012/13 & 2014/15 but the circumstances are totally different. In 2012 we had a great team but Mancini had alienated just about everyone from Khaldoon to the tea lady and had effectively resigned (until he got a new contract). He didn't have the trust of must of his players so they were never going to repeat the performance of the previous season.

Pellegrini inherited a disciplined team that was glad to see the back of Mancini and they responded well to his less abrasive approach. But he failed to build on that double-winning season and the team was already showing the weaknesses that became clear when Pep took over.

This time is a bit like 2012, where we have a very strong squad but we also have a manager who's committed to the club and has the respect of his players. Of course we've still got to go out and win it but with the addition of Mahrez we have the van Persie equivalent that we failed to get in 2012.

Agree, I think Mahrez will be a great addition and he has a fantastic opportunity in this great side. Would like to see us bring a DMC in, but I don't think we need to panic and bring in someone just for the sake of it. Be good to see the developing youth get a chance too..

I am more looking forward to how we will play this season. Having Mendy back is like having a new player. What set up will we play. We have enough defenders to play 3 man defence with wing backs if we wish. I honestly think that this season Pep many well thinker about with the formation and it may well help the aging Fernandhino who was brilliant last season. Having the extra defender in there will help a lot. Or if we continue as we did last year we got so many different ways to go forward and with Pep you just never know what he is going to see and do.

A lot of players will play there part and if we can get 1 more in it would be great but if it is only Mahrez unlike before i think we have enough to go for the title again. I doubt it very much we will get 100 points this season but we have a great team and that winning experience for the younger players they will only get better from winning the first league.

I am more looking forward to how we will play this season. Having Mendy back is like having a new player. What set up will we play. We have enough defenders to play 3 man defence with wing backs if we wish. I honestly think that this season Pep many well thinker about with the formation and it may well help the aging Fernandhino who was brilliant last season. Having the extra defender in there will help a lot. Or if we continue as we did last year we got so many different ways to go forward and with Pep you just never know what he is going to see and do.

A lot of players will play there part and if we can get 1 more in it would be great but if it is only Mahrez unlike before i think we have enough to go for the title again. I doubt it very much we will get 100 points this season but we have a great team and that winning experience for the younger players they will only get better from winning the first league.
Agree we won't get 100 or even close but on the other hand I can't see us posting anything less than 85 points barring a disaster. That would put us in with a good chance of regaining the title. The closer the contest the better it will be for us as this will make it very difficult for anybody to break the 85 point barrier.

Yep,pretty much an expansion of what i said.

And I would add that the squad this time around was 19 points better than the second place team, previously we were winner on GD and by a couple of points.
We are in a completely different situation this time around.

If Afc is considered a great side (3 PL titles in 7 seasons culminating with the invincibles)

City must also be considered a great side with a similar record ...replace invincibles with Centurions
The City side that won the Premier League was a new side with limited continuity from the previous title winners. I think this City side has to win a few more trophies to be considered a great side. Wenger never managed to rebuild his side, whereas Guardiola / Txiki have done that now. I think City should have built on Mancini's side but FFP / managerial change prevented us from making the most of that side. Now we have another go at it.

The City side that won the Premier League was a new side with limited continuity from the previous title winners. I think this City side has to win a few more trophies to be considered a great side. Wenger never managed to rebuild his side, whereas Guardiola / Txiki have done that now. I think City should have built on Mancini's side but FFP / managerial change prevented us from making the most of that side. Now we have another go at it.

You make some good points...my point is it's not 3 PL titles in 6 or 7 yrs that makes a great team or winning 3 PL titles in 3 yrs...that only proves it's a consistent team, not a great team

It's that one off special season(Centurions/Invincibles/Treble winners)..unlikely any of those achievements will be repeated...especially the Centurions or Invincibles seasons

We should be good enough to win back to back PL titles...Although It's tougher now with all the money in the PL

Easier to dominate back in the 90's/2000's

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.