The Smiths & Morrissey thread

Ducado

Well-Known Member
Joined
3 Aug 2007
Messages
28,713
Location
Top of the Tower
So on the long sad drive home from the game tonight, it was The Smiths and Morrissey all the way home (after dropping PB off, he does not appreciate decent music)

It got me thinking what makes it all so timeless and popular, I am told that The Smiths even have a cult following in Latino communities in the US and there are many kids into The Smiths who were not even born when they split up

Could it be the magical rhythms of Johnny Marr, or the witty melancholic and sometimes ludicrous lyrics of the man himself ?

Whilst many groups and singers shoot to fame and fade away, for some reason they seem as popular as ever

I would be interested in your take on this
 

Tueartsoverhead kick

Well-Known Member
Joined
28 Jun 2008
Messages
2,824
Location
moston - still looking for the blue moon raising,
Ducado said:
So on the long sad drive home from the game tonight, it was The Smiths and Morrissey all the way home (after dropping PB off, he does not appreciate decent music)

It got me thinking what makes it all so timeless and popular, I am told that The Smiths even have a cult following in Latino communities in the US and there are many kids into The Smiths who were not even born when they split up

Could it be the magical rhythms of Johnny Marr, or the witty melancholic and sometimes ludicrous lyrics of the man himself ?

Whilst many groups and singers shoot to fame and fade away, for some reason they seem as popular as ever

I would be interested in your take on this

Think I will let MES answer that for you :)
 

Damocles

Administrator
Joined
14 Jan 2009
Messages
38,769
Love the Smiths, mainly due to the cracking bassline and the wonderful and timeless riffs of Johnny Marr.

Never liked that front bloke though. Seemed like a bit of a whinging **** to me.
 

jimharri

Moderator
Joined
30 Dec 2007
Messages
106,242
Location
The back of beyond
Ducado said:
So on the long sad drive home from the game tonight, it was The Smiths and Morrissey all the way home (after dropping PB off, he does not appreciate decent music)

It got me thinking what makes it all so timeless and popular, I am told that The Smiths even have a cult following in Latino communities in the US and there are many kids into The Smiths who were not even born when they split up

Could it be the magical rhythms of Johnny Marr, or the witty melancholic and sometimes ludicrous lyrics of the man himself ?

Whilst many groups and singers shoot to fame and fade away, for some reason they seem as popular as ever

I would be interested in your take on this
 

johnny on the spot

Well-Known Member
Joined
19 Jul 2006
Messages
24,748
They were just fucking top. Moz was a freak and Marr was cool as fuck.

And as for the rhythm section, best in the fucking business. Meeting Andy Rourke and saying thanks for Barbarism Begins at Home is still one of the highlights of my life.
 

chabal

Well-Known Member
Joined
10 Apr 2011
Messages
10,152
Ducado said:
So on the long sad drive home from the game tonight, it was The Smiths and Morrissey all the way home (after dropping PB off, he does not appreciate decent music)

It got me thinking what makes it all so timeless and popular, I am told that The Smiths even have a cult following in Latino communities in the US and there are many kids into The Smiths who were not even born when they split up

Could it be the magical rhythms of Johnny Marr, or the witty melancholic and sometimes ludicrous lyrics of the man himself ?

Whilst many groups and singers shoot to fame and fade away, for some reason they seem as popular as ever

I would be interested in your take on this

My take on this is that you are tired of life.
 

Damocles

Administrator
Joined
14 Jan 2009
Messages
38,769
Tueartsoverhead kick said:
Damocles said:
Love the Smiths, mainly due to the cracking bassline and the wonderful and timeless riffs of Johnny Marr.

Never liked that front bloke though. Seemed like a bit of a whinging c**t to me.

Now I know how to become a MOD just like the smith's :)

Suspiciously, pretty much all of the mods enjoy the Smiths. I'm sure there's something in that.
 

Nightmare Walking

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 May 2014
Messages
3,400
johnny on the spot said:
They were just fucking top. Moz was a freak and Marr was cool as fuck.

And as for the rhythm section, best in the fucking business. Meeting Andy Rourke and saying thanks for Barbarism Begins at Home is still one of the highlights of my life.

I think you have mistaken The Smiths for The Stone Roses there.
 

Don't have an account?

Register now!
Top
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.