The Smiths & Morrissey thread

Ducado said:
So on the long sad drive home from the game tonight, it was The Smiths and Morrissey all the way home (after dropping PB off, he does not appreciate decent music)

It got me thinking what makes it all so timeless and popular, I am told that The Smiths even have a cult following in Latino communities in the US and there are many kids into The Smiths who were not even born when they split up

Could it be the magical rhythms of Johnny Marr, or the witty melancholic and sometimes ludicrous lyrics of the man himself ?

Whilst many groups and singers shoot to fame and fade away, for some reason they seem as popular as ever

I would be interested in your take on this

I'm 32 so I was still a runt when The Smiths were going but I love pretty much everything from Marr/Morrissey.

I think that the main reason why their music still sounds so good, even 30 years on is mainly because of the fact that they wrote and sang about areas of life that nobody admits to thinking about.

Things like death, love & in particular loneliness are topics of conversation that are very rarely spoke about (if ever) by blokes in particular, yet these are all topics that will affect every bloke in the world at some point.

Their music to me is so different to any other band or artist has ever produced (that I've heard anyway). I love the Clash too but their punk/reggae sound gives some of their messages a more upbeat feel whereas the Smiths/Morrissey didn't "jazz it up" and Morrissey's tone along with the music gives off feelings of misery & despair in a lot of their songs. For example How Soon Is Now, Heaven knows I'm Miserable Now or Last Night Somebody Loved Me.

But, they were also a really good pop group too. Hand in Glove, This Charming Man, Ask, & What Difference Does it Make are all really good songs that deliver their message in a more upbeat way. Girlfriend in a Coma I personally found hilarious too, I played this song on the jukebox in a pub I was in with a few of my pals and none of them liked it. "thats depressing" etc and so I found myself listening to Ed Sheron & Queen instead as I didn't want to depress the lads anymore.

Personally I absolutely love The Smiths, their honesty appeals to me far more than anything that say Oasis have ever done, who were/are the biggest and most popular group of my generation.

RACHACE said:
Ducado said:
So on the long sad drive home from the game tonight, it was The Smiths and Morrissey all the way home (after dropping PB off, he does not appreciate decent music)

It got me thinking what makes it all so timeless and popular, I am told that The Smiths even have a cult following in Latino communities in the US and there are many kids into The Smiths who were not even born when they split up

Could it be the magical rhythms of Johnny Marr, or the witty melancholic and sometimes ludicrous lyrics of the man himself ?

Whilst many groups and singers shoot to fame and fade away, for some reason they seem as popular as ever

I'm 32 so I was still a runt when The Smiths were going but I love pretty much everything from Marr/Morrissey.

I think that the main reason why their music still sounds so good, even 30 years on is mainly because of the fact that they wrote and sang about areas of life that nobody admits to thinking about.

Things like death, love & in particular loneliness are topics of conversation that are very rarely spoke about (if ever) by blokes in particular, yet these are all topics that will affect every bloke in the world at some point.

Their music to me is so different to any other band or artist has ever produced (that I've heard anyway). I love the Clash too but their punk/reggae sound gives some of their messages a more upbeat feel whereas the Smiths/Morrissey didn't "jazz it up" and Morrissey's tone along with the music gives off feelings of misery & despair in a lot of their songs. For example How Soon Is Now, Heaven knows I'm Miserable Now or Last Night Somebody Loved Me.

But, they were also a really good pop group too. Hand in Glove, This Charming Man, Ask, & What Difference Does it Make are all really good songs that deliver their message in a more upbeat way. Girlfriend in a Coma I personally found hilarious too, I played this song on the jukebox in a pub I was in with a few of my pals and none of them liked it. "thats depressing" etc and so I found myself listening to Ed Sheron & Queen instead as I didn't want to depress the lads anymore.

Personally I absolutely love The Smiths, their honesty appeals to me far more than anything that say Oasis have ever done, who were/are the biggest and most popular group of my generation.
yep totally,when people were singing about love and beautiful woman, they were coming out with lyrics like " so you go and you stand on your own and leave on your own and you go home and you cry and want to die" it's just the realism of life that people can relate to. Life isn't a bed of roses and the smiths tapped into that like no other band,that coupled with some of the most iconic guitar riffs ever and it's no suprise their music still touches so many from different generations

Re: The Smiths & Morrissey

Ducado said:
The top Morrissey song of the day has to be

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38x5GYAS6xY[/video]
This is an absolute masterpiece. One of my favourites. That album may be my favourite by anyone ever. I think I even prefer it to the Smiths albums (if I'm allowed to say that!).

Elbow beards said:
RACHACE said:
Ducado said:

yep totally,when people were singing about love and beautiful woman, they were coming out with lyrics like " so you go and you stand on your own and leave on your own and you go home and you cry and want to die" it's just the realism of life that people can relate to. Life isn't a bed of roses and the smiths tapped into that like no other band,that coupled with some of the most iconic guitar riffs ever and it's no suprise their music still touches so many from different generations

Nail on head.
At the time, Wham were singing ''Club Tropicana drinks are free'' and prancing around in Speedo's around a Med pool, Duran Duran were sailing on boats in exotic places singing about ''oh Rio, Rio'' and I was on the dole living in a freezing cold bedsit in Sale....
Watching The Tube and The Smiths come on singing ''I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear''.
I dived in head first.....

Stuuuuuu said:
Ducado said:
The top Morrissey song of the day has to be

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38x5GYAS6xY[/video]
This is an absolute masterpiece. One of my favourites. That album may be my favourite by anyone ever. I think I even prefer it to the Smiths albums (if I'm allowed to say that!).

You may say it :)
Certainly his best solo album

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Elbow beards said:
RACHACE said:

Nail on head.
At the time, Wham were singing ''Club Tropicana drinks are free'' and prancing around in Speedo's around a Med pool, Duran Duran were sailing on boats in exotic places singing about ''oh Rio, Rio'' and I was on the dole living in a freezing cold bedsit in Sale....
Watching The Tube and The Smiths come on singing ''I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear''.
I dived in head first.....

That would have been the same time New Order released Blue Monday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.