The Smiths & Morrissey thread

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
stony said:
Ducado said:
So on the long sad drive home from the game tonight, it was The Smiths and Morrissey all the way home (after dropping PB off, he does not appreciate decent music)

It got me thinking what makes it all so timeless and popular, I am told that The Smiths even have a cult following in Latino communities in the US and there are many kids into The Smiths who were not even born when they split up

Could it be the magical rhythms of Johnny Marr, or the witty melancholic and sometimes ludicrous lyrics of the man himself ?

Whilst many groups and singers shoot to fame and fade away, for some reason they seem as popular as ever

I would be interested in your take on this

It's the lyrics. They appeal to the frustrated "nobody understands me" teenage male, who spends half of his time wanking into a sock and the other half listening to miserable music and crying into his pillow.

Who told you I did that?

Anyone who was a teenager and liked the smiths, had a room full of crusty socks and a tear stained pillow.

stony said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
stony said:
It's the lyrics. They appeal to the frustrated "nobody understands me" teenage male, who spends half of his time wanking into a sock and the other half listening to miserable music and crying into his pillow.

Who told you I did that?

Anyone who was a teenager and liked the smiths, had a room full of crusty socks and a tear stained pillow.

*phew* I thought you had photographic evidence..... I never did find out who stole them ;)

stony said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
stony said:

Who told you I did that?

This pillow ;)
morrissey-pillow-case-film.png

or this one?
sendpillow_case_lrg.jpg

Re: The Smiths & Morrissey

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
About time there was a thread on The Smiths / Morrissey on here.
Can't believe (jimharri's predictable - and funny - gif apart) that the haters aren't all over it!

Timeless because the lyrics are still relevant today to today's teens / adolescents and still say everything to me about my life now 30 years on.....
And the tunes are just pure melodic and perfect.

The Smiths produced (I think) 74 songs in just under 5 years (and 2 crap cover versions)
You can count on one hand the number of ''bad songs'' (I count one, ''Death At One's Elbow'')
There was nothing throw away about the lyrics or the music.
They were a band like The Specials that were a product of their environment and wrote about what was going on around them and a nation of youth related to it and grabbed the band and ran with them for a few short, triumphant years.
To have seen The Smiths 5 times, I feel very lucky to have been there when they were there. When they split up I never imagined I'd still be (some may say) obsessed with them (nevermind thinking I would write books on them!) When Madchester came along I was into all that too, but The Smiths were never far away from my ears.

The fact The Smiths Disco at The Star & Garter is packed every month with fans of all ages is evidence of the relevance of the band and their music now, today, tomorrow and always......

Well said the sone of one of Mrs friends is only 13 and he is rely into The Smiths and Moz and so are a lot of his mates I can't think of any other group that spans so many generations

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.