The Social Dilemma - Netflix

I rarely do anything on Facebook, I lost interest in it when it moved from the timeline to algorithms. I think you're meant to be able to still have a timeline but mine shows the same stuff in both feeds.

Since watching the documentary I moved the shortcuts to fb and instagram to the final page of my shortcuts rather than the homescreen. Its made a big difference and I hardly go on the now. I do receive regular notifications trying to tempt me back though, my favourite being about suggested friends... I haven't recognised any of the names and I'm getting these on a daily basis since I stopped using it!

Where does WhatsApp fit in all this? There are no ads and all it seems to be is a way of chatting, sending pictures and links 'privately' to people in your contact list.

Seems innocuous to me or am I missing something?

Where does WhatsApp fit in all this? There are no ads and all it seems to be is a way of chatting, sending pictures and links 'privately' to people in your contact list.

Used to cost £1 to download and £1 a year, Facebook bought it and changed it to free.

In all essence it’s free and that’s it, but it’s speculated that part of the rationale behind acquiring WhatsApp was for Facebook to access user’s behavioural data and personal information.

Whatsapp originally used to cost money to download until Facebook took over it. The original idea was that billions would buy it because you could text and ring people for free (or for £1).

Now that it's free I can't imagine what they will be doing behind the scenes but no doubt having a big mine of everyones personal conversations and contacts is always a nice asset to have......

On a side note, just watched the documentary and it's chilling and sobering. Hard to see change though despite knowing it's a bad thing. Dopamine rules.

Reactions: mat

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.