The Soriano Effect

Mancini Manus Domini

I've recently read Ferran Sorriano's excellent book, 'The Ball Doesn't Go In The Net By Chance,' and it made for extremely fascinating reading. This guy is really clued up, and I believe our owners have made an outstanding choice in making him our Chief Executive.

As most of you may know he was very much involved in acquiring Ronaldinho in an effort to not only improve Barcelona but also boost their worldwide exposure, and inturn their revenue stream. Will we take a punt on a really big name player? Well I can imagine this guy will explore every opportunity to do so. Reading his book it seems to make sense that a Messi or a Neymar deal could fund itself if handled correctly.

The other thing I found highly interesting was his take on transfer negotiations. Ideally you need to have a list of three targets for every position you want to improve. If you are negotiating with a players agent and that agent knows you are only in for his player then the agent has the upper hand. If he knows you could go after another player then he might be more willing to close a deal if you threaten to move on. This got me thinking about the last two summer transfer windows when our primary targets were Sanchez and Hazzard. We failed on both but where were our alternatives? They both seem similar players to me so why when we failed on both counts did we not have a plan B?

Recently we have been linked to Falcao and more recently Suarez. I wonder if Soriano is already laying the groundwork for January?

What's happened to Tolmie's Hairdo these days? I loved his efforts but i'm inclined to believe he's Brian Marwood! No longer in the loop and wanting his nemisis out of the door. And for all of you thinking Pep is a shoe in to replace Mancini read Soriano's book. I wouldn't be so sure.

This should've been in the main forum, pal. It's an interesting topic, get it shipped up mods, :)

Mancini Manus Domini said:
I've recently read Ferran Sorriano's excellent book, 'The Ball Doesn't Go In The Net By Chance,' and it made for extremely fascinating reading. This guy is really clued up, and I believe our owners have made an outstanding choice in making him our Chief Executive.

As most of you may know he was very much involved in acquiring Ronaldinho in an effort to not only improve Barcelona but also boost their worldwide exposure, and inturn their revenue stream. Will we take a punt on a really big name player? Well I can imagine this guy will explore every opportunity to do so. Reading his book it seems to make sense that a Messi or a Neymar deal could fund itself if handled correctly.
That seems kind of at odds with the Marca article in the main forum, which is interesting.

Thing with Ronaldinho was he was a global name but he was still fantastic player. It'd be bad to buy a big-name player just for the sake of selling shirts. Beckham (in some hypothetical world if he never played for the rags) joining us would be a great example of this. I think Soriano knows better than to get a big but washed up name.

we are a very good team ,but not a great one yet ,one superstar a pele,messi.maradonna.is the ingrediant that turns a good team into a great one ,soriano understands this .

Falcao could be the difference!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9715403/Falcao-will-cost-Chelsea-or-Manchester-City-100m-but-the-Atletico-Madrid-striker-is-worth-every-penny.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... penny.html</a>

Blueroses said:
Falcao could be the difference!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9715403/Falcao-will-cost-Chelsea-or-Manchester-City-100m-but-the-Atletico-Madrid-striker-is-worth-every-penny.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... penny.html</a>

I reckon Soriano will be pulling out all the stops to get Falcao.

Ronaldinho was already considered a sure thing when Barcelona out bid United for him. I think Falcao is at the same stage as Ronaldinho was then.

Will Falcao come to City? I like the bit in the article where it says Falcao is a very devout man. I'm sure he'd get along very well with Mancini.

Mancini Manus Domini said:

The other thing I found highly interesting was his take on transfer negotiations. Ideally you need to have a list of three targets for every position you want to improve. If you are negotiating with a players agent and that agent knows you are only in for his player then the agent has the upper hand. If he knows you could go after another player then he might be more willing to close a deal if you threaten to move on. This got me thinking about the last two summer transfer windows when our primary targets were Sanchez and Hazzard. We failed on both but where were our alternatives? They both seem similar players to me so why when we failed on both counts did we not have a plan B?

Recently we have been linked to Falcao and more recently Suarez. I wonder if Soriano is already laying the groundwork for January?

What's happened to Tolmie's Hairdo these days? I loved his efforts but i'm inclined to believe he's Brian Marwood! No longer in the loop and wanting his nemisis out of the door. And for all of you thinking Pep is a shoe in to replace Mancini read Soriano's book. I wouldn't be so sure.

Next summer expect a big statement transfer, that's the way he rolls.

Draw a line under what's been, hold on to your hats, we're now moving to the next level.

In regards to Plan B after missing out on Hazard, don't forget Sinclair ;-)

ped said:
we are a very good team ,but not a great one yet ,one superstar a pele,messi.maradonna.is the ingrediant that turns a good team into a great one ,soriano understands this .

we have already got the big name , soriano knows it. its called mario.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.