The stats don't lie

Mikejl

Team supported
Ridiculous question
Well we finished 2nd, but I like many Blues feel surprisingly underwhelmed. That feeling that 'if only' yes we've seen perhaps the worst refereeing in living memory, realistically seeing double figure penalties not awarded in our favour and usually crap teams having goalies making worldie saves. However being a bit of a stats bore I was contemplating how we did in the head to head fixtures and the results were interesting.

First set is our head to heads as a final Top 4, so matches between the eventual final four. These matches matter as they really see how we match up in the so-called crunch fixtures vs. our supposed rivals for the title (I include ManUre in there as they did finish 4th)

City vs Chelsea 1-1
Chelsea vs City 1-1
City vs Arsenal 0-2
Arsenal vs City 2-2
City vs MUFC 1-0
MUFC vs City 4-2
Chelsea vs Arsenal 2-0
Arsenal vs Chelsea 0-0
Chelsea vs MUFC 1-0
MUFC vs Chelsea 1-1
Arsenal vs MUFC 1-2
MUFC vs Arsenal 1-1

mini table reads

1st Chelsea 10 pts +3 GD
2nd MUFC 8pts +1 GD
3rd Arse 6 pts -1 GD
4th City 6 pts -3 GD

So pretty abject, we only managed to win one of our 6 matches which was ManUre at home.

Second analysis was how each of the Top 4 matched up against the eventual 3 teams that were relegated, so again big match pressure, but against vastly inferior teams.

Results:

City vs QPR 6-0
QPR vs City 2-2
City vs Burnley 2-2
Burnley vs City 1-0
City vs Hull 1-1
Hull vs City 2-4
Chelsea vs QPR 2-1
QPR vs Chelsea 0-1
Chelsea vs Burnley 1-1
Burnley vs Chelsea 1-3
Chelsea vs Hull 2-0
Hull vs Chelsea 2-3
Arsenal vs QPR 2-1
QPR VS Arsenal 1-2
Arsenal vs Burnley 3-0
Burnley vs Arsenal 0-1
Arsenal vs Hull 2-2
Hull vs Arsenal 1-3
MUFC vs QPR 4-0
QPR vs MUFC 0-2
MUFC vs Burnley 3-1
Burnley vs MUFC 0-0
MUFC VS Hull 3-0
Hull vs MUFC 0-0

If we produce a mini table for this it reads

1st Arse 16 pts +8 GD
2nd Chelsea 16 pts +7 GD
3rd MUFC 14 pts +11 GD
4th City 9 pts +7 GD

So again we failed again, in fact worryingly enough we only won 2, yes TWO games out of 6 against the 3 relegated team, which is pathetic, we were also the only top 4 team to lose to a relegated team.

Lots of ifs, whys and maybes I know but in these 2 very different match ups we cocked up badly, just a win not a draw against Chelsea and turning a couple of those draws against the bottom three into win and we're 8 points better off and champions. What it also highlights to me is either a tactical naivety or a complacent in the games against lesser teams or a lack of a big game mentality. Whatever the cause it needs identifying and fixing for next season

If City are pathetic for finishing in the top 2 for the past five seasons, what word would you use for all of the other teams that failed to finish in the top 2 for the past five seasons?

Also, define failure.

If City are pathetic for finishing in the top 2 for the past five seasons, what word would you use for all of the other teams that failed to finish in the top 2 for the past five seasons?

Also, define failure.
Didn't say/mean we were pathetic. Clearly we are the most consistent team over the past 4 seasons. However our results against the relegated teams have been pathetic, failure is relative isn't it? Failure 5 years ago was not getting into Europe, Top 4. Standards are higher now, so failure this year fir me has been the lack of a good cup run. League position whilst not a success isn't a disgrace.

Also, define failure.
He didn't say anything remotely like that!

And I would say that we should be challenging for trophies and we didn't challenge for a single one this season...that is a failure for a club with a CEO demanding trophies!

Didn't say/mean we were pathetic. Clearly we are the most consistent team over the past 4 seasons. However our results against the relegated teams have been pathetic, failure is relative isn't it? Failure 5 years ago was not getting into Europe, Top 4. Standards are higher now, so failure this year fir me has been the lack of a good cup run. League position whilst not a success isn't a disgrace.
He didn't say anything remotely like that!

And I would say that we should be challenging for trophies and we didn't challenge for a single one this season...that is a failure for a club with a CEO demanding trophies!

Go support another team then. With Bayern Munich you've got a 100% chance of winning the league. With Real Madrid or Barcelona you've got a 50% chance.

I agree that we didn't hit the hieghts, but we've been robbed of some shocking decisions this season

Yaya at home v Stoke, no penalty.
Wilshere handball v Arsenal, nothing.
Silva v Hull at home, no penalty.
Palace away, one offside goal, one blatant penalty denied.
United away, two offside goals.
Chelsea at home, Zaba sent off, but Costa can strangle him.
United at home, three stonewall penalties.
Burnley at home, Boyd scores an offside goal.
Burnley away, Zaba gets twatted, no penalty.

There's more. But bad refereeing decisions have certainly cost us.

Go support another team then. With Bayern Munich you've got a 100% chance of winning the league. With Real Madrid or Barcelona you've got a 50% chance.
It's not a question of winning, it's a question of challenging. We might have finished second this year, but we didn't really challenge for the title.

You're not reading what people are saying in this thread are you? I said we should be "challenging" for trophies with a "CEO demanding trophies". You can challenge for trophies and come up short and win nothing, then you can be nowhere near challenging for any trophies at all and win nothing - they are hugely different seasons. One is acceptable, one isn't.

So are you saying that our CEO should go and work for Bayern then? As he's the one demanding trophies!

I don't think in the end we missed out on the title by much. Change both Burnley results and the derby to wins and we win the title on GD. More concerning is our performances in the cups which were dire. We surely can't accept losing to Boro and Newcastle at home of all places. The Champions League was bad at the time but now going out to Barcelona after what they did to Bayern doesn't seem so bad.

I agree that we didn't hit the hieghts, but we've been robbed of some shocking decisions this season

Yaya at home v Stoke, no penalty.
Wilshere handball v Arsenal, nothing.
Silva v Hull at home, no penalty.
Palace away, one offside goal, one blatant penalty denied.
United away, two offside goals.
Chelsea at home, Zaba sent off, but Costa can strangle him.
United at home, three stonewall penalties.
Burnley at home, Boyd scores an offside goal.
Burnley away, Zaba gets twatted, no penalty.

There's more. But bad refereeing decisions have certainly cost us.
Hahaha, come on, I agree with a lot that post but in what world did Costa strangle Zaba? Haha, sorry that made me laugh!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.