The striker situation

mammutly said:
Whilst it's interesting to speculate on who we might sign in January, there are at least 12 points to play for before then, starting with the match against Palace on Saturday.

Some keen and conscientious moderator merged the thread I started about this question with mainstand's earlier one. My concern is who plays up front given what we've got available now.

Can someone explain the ghost 9 or whatever it's called? Because I think that's what we might be seeing until the middle of January
Google 'the Revie Plan' which we used in the mid-50s (there's a thread somewhere on Bluemoon) and this was used to good effect by City, being based on the great Hungarian team of that time. This was a system based on what was called "A deep lying CF" rather than having a bulldozer in a number 9 shirt which was the traditional way of playing the game until then. Some say that City were the first club to introduce forward thinking tactical planning into the English game although I was far too young to understand or to question that assertion.

Ray78 said:
mammutly said:
Whilst it's interesting to speculate on who we might sign in January, there are at least 12 points to play for before then, starting with the match against Palace on Saturday.

Some keen and conscientious moderator merged the thread I started about this question with mainstand's earlier one. My concern is who plays up front given what we've got available now.

Can someone explain the ghost 9 or whatever it's called? Because I think that's what we might be seeing until the middle of January

http://thefalse9.com/2013/09/football-tactics-for-beginnersthe-false-9.html#

Blimey......somebody has discovered The Revie Plan.........Was buried with Les McDowell.

I'm no cynic said:
mammutly said:

Google 'the Revie Plan' which we used in the mid-50s (there's a thread somewhere on Bluemoon) and this was used to good effect by City, being based on the great Hungarian team of that time. This was a system based on what was called "A deep lying CF" rather than having a bulldozer in a number 9 shirt which was the traditional way of playing the game until then. Some say that City were the first club to introduce forward thinking tactical planning into the English game although I was far too young to understand or to question that assertion.

This is correct as to the Revie Plan. I'm too young too, but I once read an excellent book that got into that issue - Jonathan Wilson's "Inverting the Pyramid." Worth a read for anyone interested in the history of football tactics.

JM7 said:
Its obvious we HAVE to buy/loan a new striker in January. In my opinion, we should look at:
Jay Rodriguez - Relatively young, fast, versitile, can finish and English.
Saido Berahinho: Same reasons as Jay Rod, and both would be eligible to play in the Champions League if needed.
Bony
Lacazette - Young French striker, fast and can finish. In fact his goal scoring record is amongst the best in Europe.
Podolski
Jermaine Defoe (100% on a 5 month loan only).
Balotelli
David Villa
Higuain
Álvaro Morata

I reckon there's more chance we'll play @BoringMilner in nets and Hart up front than the coming of Mad Mario again

(although I've nothing but fond memories of him & wish him the best - ie. I hope he scores bag fulls against Chelsea & the rest)

inbetween said:
No need to sign new players and flap. Dzeko will be back in 3 weeks, Aguero in 5-6 and Jovetic 2 weeks or so. I'd understand if we were talking months and therefore half the season but our best striker is back in 6 or so games time with others coming back before then. We also have a very decent run of fixtures to coincide with it so we aren't as bad off as people think.

We only have Palace and West Brom to worry about before at least Jovetic is back. We have won 2 games with Pozo playing at least half the game so I don't see the problem here. If not Pozo, Silva has played the false 9 for Spain and has done very well but I'm more bothered he would get a kicking. I'd just play without a striker, Silva false 9 and Nasri in the middle and our usual setup around that.

Yaya is completely wasted as a striker, far better dominating midfield like he has done recently.

we need a 4th striker, we always did. if we let this window pass us by it will come back to haunt us.

de niro said:
inbetween said:
No need to sign new players and flap. Dzeko will be back in 3 weeks, Aguero in 5-6 and Jovetic 2 weeks or so. I'd understand if we were talking months and therefore half the season but our best striker is back in 6 or so games time with others coming back before then. We also have a very decent run of fixtures to coincide with it so we aren't as bad off as people think.

We only have Palace and West Brom to worry about before at least Jovetic is back. We have won 2 games with Pozo playing at least half the game so I don't see the problem here. If not Pozo, Silva has played the false 9 for Spain and has done very well but I'm more bothered he would get a kicking. I'd just play without a striker, Silva false 9 and Nasri in the middle and our usual setup around that.

Yaya is completely wasted as a striker, far better dominating midfield like he has done recently.

we need a 4th striker, we always did. if we let this window pass us by it will come back to haunt us.

Or it wont.

billymumphrey said:
de niro said:
inbetween said:

Or it wont.

it has already. the beast should have been replaced before we agreed to let him go. now this.

I think pelle will use the formation he applied in the last 15 mins of Our last game.

Hart

Zab MDM Mangala Clichy

Fernando

Navas yaya Milner

Nasri Silva

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.