The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
No, I was never perfectly happy with any of those things, but I was guilty of being used to them, they were normalised elsewhere while City were basically crap, and then one day I woke up and we had joined the party. Had no idea what to make of it all tbh. None of us did. Everyone just carried on and we got used to it, cos as much as we spent it at least felt like nothing we hadn't seen before. This though, well it feels different, cos it is I think. It's a vastly bigger step because of the clearer, stronger and obvious effects to the domestic game. We're all a bit hypocritical, but we also all have our limits, and that's inherently human. There's a reason this has sent shockwaves around football and got to the point where its being debated by politicians and not just us City fans - I would guess it's because its clearly a bigger step, and one too far for the vast majority of football fans, and the reaction has proven that. I get it, you're not arsed, fair enough, but this unquestionably changes the game much more structurally than anything else has in my lifetime. There is also no way the domestic league changes exponentially from this, the cups included, and that is something im not used to either.

Edit - and I didn't even mention the lack of competitiveness. I know there's a strong argument that that had already spiritually gone, but it was still there and still open. Competitions without relegation and promotion are absolutely the pits for me. They're utterly soulless.
Listen we've known each other a while and I respect the head on your shoulders. But I'm left today watching your reaction video and reading your posts and the overwhelming thought is "what did you THINK would happen?".

The European Super League was always going to come up, it's too profitable an idea for it to not keep coming around.

Did you think these investors at City from the other side of the planet who were happy to post the biggest financial losses in the history of the sport were going to purposely hurt their growth by dying on a moral hill of competitiveness? These people who purposely distorted "competition" by their huge investments? There's just not a reality where I could have seen that happening in 2011 let alone 2021.

We've spoken for years about City's desire to be one of the big boys in European football. We've all known that that is what we wanted. That's what we've gotten now. We're locked in for a quarter of a century as one of the giants of the game.

City were never the "cartel busting" force that some on here presented them as. City were out to make money for City and grow the club to be the biggest in the world. That was always their goal from the day the takeover happened. Shit, they literally told us that in the Shiekh's first statement if I remember correctly.

Buried in this thread I've argued that competition doesn't exist in the European football and hasn't done for the last 30 years. But I'm consistently surprised that people who support a club who know better than anyone else that you NEED a billionaire investor just to compete can really talk like there's real competition already and this is a death knell for it. Competition died a decade before City were taken over. City's actions over the past 12 years prove that competition is dead because look at what we had to do in order to compete.

And watching Sky Sports come out against this as a money grab is almost making me vomit. Remember free to air top division football? Sky Sports invented much of the economics of football that led to the death of competition. Now that digital distribution is going to be the major player rather than satellite, and they are not positioned like Amazon are to deliver that content digitally, they've suddenly found some morals about the whole affair.

It never ceases to amaze me how corporations suddenly find morals when it is in their financial advantage to do so.

So to be Crystal. We joining the super league means it’s just the super league. One competition.

no cups at all.
no premier league

just this one competition.
The Super League proposes for it to be a midweek comp alongside the rest. Uefa says it's them or nothing. The PL say the same and what Fifa say, and the FA about their respective international and domestic cups is still confused.

I've yet to see or hear from City why this is a good thing for me, as a fan for life (so far).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.