The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
I don't think Americans understand the cultural impact of football clubs in the UK.

Most of these clubs have been around for over a century and there are families who have been supporting and attending matches for generations. They're a part of local identity, whether or not they also happen to be multi million/ billion pound businesses.

US sports might have their exceptions but this is the standard of football in Britain. Sports franchises in American aren't even fixed to one geographical location. One day you're supporting the Seattle Supersonics, the next they've jumped 2000 miles down the road to Oklahoma.

I'm not even targeting American sports, I'm a big NBA fan, but I do think that there's a fundamental cultural aspect of football that the supporters across the pond don't understand because you simply can't until you've lived it.

Football isn't always fair. It's not been fair to us in the past and it's, quite frankly, not been fair on the teams at the bottom end of the table for decades. But a big part of it is about overcoming odds, falling and getting back up again. Promotion and relegation are ingrained in my brain as a Manchester City supporter.

In American supports, leagues/ conferences are often a closed loop where the lowest teams are rewarded for being shit in order to maintain the "parity" you talk about.

That's not the way it works, as far as I'm concerned. The pyramid is a far more engaging system, in no small part because of the brutality.
I think we shouldn’t even compare pro sports in the USA to Futbol in England or Europe. I played college basketball, and love the sport, but I fucking hate the NBA. I watch very little mlb or nfl also. To me, the only thing comparable to futbol is college athletics. It’s big business and there has been a lot that has destroyed college sports, but it’s the only thing in the USA that fans are equally as passionate about as European futbol. My university, Michigan, has been playing intercollegiate football since 1879 and as bad as we are now, I still am as passionate and fiery about my school as I ever was.
I don’t get that feeling when I watch professional sports, like at all. I started following City 25 years ago as it’s the only sport that I am as into as much as my college team. When it comes to sports, I don’t have a problem with calling the mlb or nba title the world championship, I mean, the best players from all over the world come to the USA to play in the best leagues. NBA is filled with great European players and very diverse. Mlb is filled with players from all over central and South America and Asian countries. Even though the NFL isn’t my favorite, I still love the sport, the strategy, athleticism, and intensity of the game is second to none. With those things being said, I still have a hard time watching it due to the myriad of issues. Games are flooded with commercials, they take way too long, games become meaningless for teams that aren’t in title contention. The parity is a good thing and the playoff system is a good thing.
With all that said, I hate this super league idea, and the fact a team like west ham who is in 4th won’t get rewarded for having a great season really irks me. Taking away the incentive of having a great season is the biggest issue and just the greed. I will agree with all of you in critique when it comes to pro sports and the greedy owners in the USA. We hate people like Stan Kronke as much as you guys do, but I think some of the opinions on the actual sports from you guys is a little extreme. I mean, cricket is a sport and it’s completely unwatchable and talk about boring. Rugby is like American football without the strategy and excitement. We could go on and on with this pissing match.
bottom line is that I hope this super league gets completely destroyed before this gets worse.

This whole thing is a complete disaster. There is no coming back from this with any kind of credibility. Even if we back out now, major questions have to answered as to why we have signed up for a half baked, load of bollocks. I'm not sure about anyone else but I've lost all motivation for this season, what does it matter if we win the league/champs league now. Utter disgrace from all the clubs involved. Sadly this is reflection of society as a whole and it absolutely stinks !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.