The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Its all about the insidious Americans. It started with Murdoch and the Sky deal (and it will ultimately end with him deciding the future of football based on what Sky do). Then came the Russians, Thais and Middle East sovereign states, who bloated the fatted calf. But the current game changer are the Americans: Glazers, Kroenke, FSG and our own Silver Lake. At least the oligarchs and Sheiks have always pretended to care about the game - not true at all of the Americans - they only see soccer as a cash machine - after loading their clubs up with debt, they were always playing a long game - and this is it - a NFL 'light'. I can promise you if this happens, in the next decade - a 'franchise' like City will move to London, or the South of France. They simply don't care. Its never been about the fans - its about the pay-per-view subscriber, and this season, with fake crowd noise and empty stadiums has taught them the show can go on. The great tragedy here, is that the there are no 'good guys' - FIFA, UEFA and FA are either cabals of corruption or utterly hopeless. For me, if this happens - which is allegedly very likely - its the end of football for me. It is not about being a nostalgic dinosaur, or standing in the way of change. Its about the essence of what football is. Which is about live, real and emotional engagement - its about being in the moment - and it makes no difference, as a City fan, if its Dickov's goal in extra time at Wembley in the second division playoff final or Sergio's winner to clinch the title a decade ago. Same emotion - same commitment - same passion. From 'tunnel clubs', to VAR, to the fact that over the past year, if you wanted to follow your club, you were forced to pay for Sky, BTSport, Amazon Prime - we are now more than ever, football 'consumers', not football fans. Another step into the 'NFLism' of football. RIP Football.
As an American, I should be offended by this. Trouble is, I agree with every fucking word of it.

We're the club that can afford to, we have to.
I just can't see it. Billionaires and billionaires because they want all the money in the world.

Like it or not our owners will not take the short term view of saving face with billions to be made

We're the club that can afford to, we have to.
I think they are bang on. You just know we'll be the ones to have the rug pulled out from under us once this league starts. They've been trying shaft us from the start, so why the reversal now.?

Do the right thing City and give the fans its game back!

A lot of speculation here. Our club bosses are not naive.

The fans will be fucked also watching rags and dippers attracting much better players, the likes of Haaland and Mbappe, but also the best English players, perhaps even Foden. Anybody thinking world class talents will prefer to play derbies with Wolves and Leeds instead of Barca and Madrid is wildly optimistic.

The globalisation of football has made some excellent leagues, e.g. Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, Portugal etc., unattractive at the expense of the PL, La Liga and Serie A. The next step will be at the expense of these very leagues and it is largely inevitable.

Is it good for football and fans? There's no simple answer to that question. For some it will be good, for others it will be bad. Gobalisation can't be stopped anyway. The best that can be done is to find some balance between the global and the local aspects of football, the global and the local communities of fans. Some working decision will be found ultimately. The big and the non-big clubs need each other.
Fuck it, I'd rather stay in the prem and play Delap, Palmer, Doyle etc than have some superstars sign for the shitty superleague

Some people still think it's all going to be equal and our new besties will look after us, deluded.
We will see. Imagine still having Little City syndrome the day after joining a Super League with Barcelona and Real Madrid. Deluded.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.