The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
European Cup---Champions League---Super League

In a sense, it's a logical development in a globalising world. The key to the economic reality of football is that the match-goers are becoming far less important than the match-watchers.

Football can't stay the same in the era of global audiences, internet, smartphones, etc.

The ESL is the end of football as we know it from its CL and PL era. But football existed before the PL and the CL and will exist after them. It won't die. It will lose some fans and win new fans.

Many fans, particularly older ones, may refuse to watch the ESL. That's perfectly fine. People will have the choice to follow local teams playing in lower divisions. The transformation that is happening is that the big clubs are more global than local, and this is an irreversible tendency. It can't be stopped. Look at City: the owners are not even European, the club bosses are not even British, the same with the manager and most stars in the team.

It's important to take care of the local fans and roots of the big clubs. It's up to club bosses to find solutions to the contradictions emerging between the global aspirations of the clubs and the local aspects of their existence, especially the local communities of fans who have made the existence and the history of the clubs possible in the first place. Such solutions will be sought and found. They won't be acceptable for some fans, but they will be probably acceptable for the global audiences which enable the growth of the big clubs.

Last edited:
After a day of being absolutely disgusted yesterday I have come into work today and as you could guess. This is all the hot topic. As far as I'm concerened the City I knew is dead to me, or is it? I got chatting to my boss who is in his late 50's and a City fan and he said as follows. "Take the owners out, would you still say that". It really got me thinking when put so bluntly and I'll be honest, no, I wouldn't. My club, the history it achieved still exists. The club who came to see me when I'd had my Kidney transplant. The club who won the title the day after my nanna died. They still exist. All be it in name and colour only right now. The players and Pep are in a very tough position and maybe we should support them. Let me make this clear though, our owners need to fuck off. I just don't know, my emotions are so conflicted. It really is like getting a divorce but you still love your ex.
Owners are temporary. The club will prevail and stay in the hearts of every city supporter. Bad times come in different forms. This is one that will pass.
personally up until now I trusted our owners and will wait until this plays out to see if I need to reassess that trust.

City wont be catching Liverpool or anyone globally in this league as we will be just making up the numbers. Perez just basically confirmed it indirectly by slagging us off in his interview.

That will put red shites ahead of us in the PL too.

and there are still some City fans supporting this abomination, basically wanting City to be these clubs woman like Dortmund is to Bayern.

Same here, seems strange to see page after page of how we should stay with EUFA, the same EUFA we boo before every CL game?
What a stupid comment.

The reason that the UEFA anthem is booed is because they have allowed themselves to be manipulated by the likes of Gill, Parry, and other placemen acting in the interests of Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Juventus, etc.

So jump in with the usual suspects to a closed shop (novelty freak show) league with five other teams ‘invited’ each year on some unspecified basis.

Anyone who thing that the Manchester City franchise will continue to play in Manchester long term is in a dream world. Does anyone think that there will be two teams left in Manchester (out of 20) beyond the early seasons?

I will be franchise territory and that franchise can be sold anywhere in the world.

I will be out if this Super League starts including City.

What’s the issue with number two? He’s got every right to invest in Salford.
Yes.

Nobody in 1993 would have said Villa would ever be relegated, but it happened. They were once of the '6' but the '6' changes. Spurs and Arsenal are falling away rapidly. City and Chelsea were never once part of that same top group. This is aboput preserving the status of the G14 and you're happy to back them up, to be part of it, after years of slagging those clubs off, when City struggled?

You should take back every criticism you ever made of the Rags. You're practically a Rag yourself at this point, supporting this shit.
Great post

Just thinking about how the effect on the PL might pan out. Seem to be two possible scenarios at the moment- either the six get kicked out of the PL or they stay. If the former then presumably they get replaced from the Championship which on current standings would be Brentford, Bournemouth, Barnsley, Reading, Cardiff andMillwall. No disrespect to those clubs, but this would devalue the PL to the level of say the Belgian or Dutch leagues. For the PL the commercial implications of this scarcely bear thinking about so I don't see it happening.

If the six continue in the PL then as another poster has said they will mainly play their squad players as there is no incentive (eg top four and CL entry)for them to do otherwise, and plenty of disincentive (injury to star players). You might see the odd star player getting a run-out after injury for game time but that would be about it. And as the six will have more dosh than the others put together then we can expect to see their dominance in attracting the best squad players and positions in the PL.

Either way, the future for the PL does not look bright.

Incidentally , on the international front, if players from the six are banned these competitions are similarly devalued so I can't see that happening either, even if it's legal to ban them. Also banning them immediately drags players from countries outside Europe into this morasse.

What a bloody mess.
Well I would have thought if they had spaces to fill they would first spare the relegated teams. So we get to keep the magic of West Brom, Fulham and Sheffield Utd over Reading, Cardiff and Millwall :)

It will be weird seeing the new top 4 goal being 7th-10th.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.