The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Hey PD

Like other posters I have no legal training so do take this post with that statement in mind. I’ve looked at the FA Handbook this evening and assume that the current FA action is covered by this. The publication makes it clear that any appeal against any sanction will be dealt with internally by the FA. Rather I suppose like a dismissed employee appealing their dismissal to an independent person in authority within the employing organisation.

To Frank Swift’s questions there is no reference in the Handbook to appeal to, or involvement of, any body external to the FA which does seem to rule out CAS. So I assume that the FA (defined independent) appointed people become judge, jury and possibly executioner.

As we have effectively signed upto the FA rules and regs I assume that we are bound by the Handbook.

Understanding how the club may or could involve any external body and how natural law, and the constitution (like statute of limitations) may overshadow the FA rules and regulations and ways of working is beyond my comprehension other to envisage a bad result for us and a giant legal claim for restraint of trade or whatever.
There is no appeal. Arbitration under the Premier League rules are self-contained and there is no CAS. If something is considered wrong with the arbitration procedure (as in the recent cases with City), it is possible to ask the High Court to intervene. As a rule the award (equivalent to a court judgment/decision) in the arbitration will be the final word on the matter.

Last edited:
There is no appeal. Arbitration under the Premier League rules are self-contained and there is no CAS. If something is considered wrong with the arbitration procedure (as in the recent cases with City), it is possible to ask the High Court to intervene. As a rule the award (equivalent to a court judgment/decision) in the arbitration will be the final word on the matter.
Does anyone remember when Spurs were found guilty in 1994 of making illegal payments to players? I think the punishment was a 12 point deduction effective from the start of the 1994-95 season, huge fine, and excluded from the 1994-95 FA Cup. Sugar - who was Tottenham chairman at the time - took it to arbitration and succeeded in getting the punishments drastically reduced. From memory, the points deduction was either reduced or completely wiped off, and they were allowed to play in the FA Cup after all.
IIRC, that was an independent arbitration panel so I’m guessing the rules have changed with regards to arbitration and it’s now internal? Which doesn’t sound particularly impartial to me.

Does anyone remember when Spurs were found guilty in 1994 of making illegal payments to players? I think the punishment was a 12 point deduction effective from the start of the 1994-95 season, huge fine, and excluded from the 1994-95 FA Cup. Sugar - who was Tottenham chairman at the time - took it to arbitration and succeeded in getting the punishments drastically reduced. From memory, the points deduction was either reduced or completely wiped off, and they were allowed to play in the FA Cup after all.
IIRC, that was an independent arbitration panel so I’m guessing the rules have changed with regards to arbitration and it’s now internal? Which doesn’t sound particularly impartial to me.
Tottenham appealed twice - the first appeal to the FA halved the points deduction to six but more than doubled the fine to £1.5 million. Sugar then threatened to take the FA to court and they agreed to set up an independent arbitration tribunal, which upheld the increased fine but struck out the points deduction and the exclusion from the FA Cup. There didn't seem to be any agreed procedure for this second appeal, it was just Sugar throwing his weight about. Nor did Tottenham seem to be disputing their guilt, merely the extent of the punishment.

Tottenham appealed twice - the first appeal to the FA halved the points deduction to six but more than doubled the fine to £1.5 million. Sugar then threatened to take the FA to court and they agreed to set up an independent arbitration tribunal, which upheld the increased fine but struck out the points deduction and the exclusion from the FA Cup. There didn't seem to be any agreed procedure for this second appeal, it was just Sugar throwing his weight about. Nor did Tottenham seem to be disputing their guilt, merely the extent of the punishment.
Weren't the points deduction and the exclusion from the FA cup overturned because they were not laid down as punishments for the offences committed by Spurs in the FA rule book. City are not appealing against the severity of a punishment for offences admitted. At the moment (and for the last two years at least), in City's "case", we have no idea what is being investigated and whether any "charges" will ever be brought against the club. The judge seemed to find this more than a little irritating but presumably hopes that ruling that the club has to produce documents requested will lead to a "speedy" resolution of the matter (whatever it might be). This reminds me of City's "bad day" in court when CAS admitted as evidence just about every document UEFA wanted and which we did not - before ruling that these documents proved nothing and that our accounts were true, accurate and complete. This judgement may have the same result - to show that there are NO grounds for any charges rather than that City are getting off on a technicality.

With the Champions League moving to the rubbish new format and this ploughing ahead there’s a real (no pun intended) danger that this competition will become the dominant club contest in the world.

I don’t think City were in a position to do anything differently but it does seem to have worked out badly. Hopefully the Super League will crash and burn but I’m not so sure it will.

I always wondered what basis UEFA ever had to stop it. Why shouldn’t some clubs be able to arrange a competition between themselves? Ultimately, the only way to beat it is to have a competition that is more attractive to a global audience, but UEFA have interests that directly work against that.

In an earlier post you said it was the UK Courts that had the final say?
Confused of Neasden.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.