The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
The whole thing stinks. We could be relegated to division 2 but it wouldn't matter because we are still generating millions of pounds and playing in a tournament we can never be kicked out of!

they won’t need us fans if the money is right just like this super league! Government can’t do anything about clubs agreeing on a different league if clubs who are in it are happy!
Yes, yes they can, they can refuse to grant an event licence for any major game in the UK not sanctioned by the FA or UEFA. They can deny entry to the non-UK teams.

It's where this leads to as well, it'll start small, a couple of home games played in New York and Miami and then before you know it we're playing half our home games outside of Manchester, Manchester based match-going fans won't go and then eventually they decide to move the club abroad to a City where fans will go.

Football needs an independent regulator to protect fans.

Can we not have just a little surprise, a little serendipity, unexpectedness, and oddness in life?
Must we stamp out every last bit of magic and possibility provided by inefficiency?

this is the sterile dystopian hellscape of the rich; a theater of controlled derivative simulation sold to vapid monied masses; an acquired signal of taste, a means to socially affirmed narcissistic end; a shell game of value long since extracted.

It’s all upside for them until the exit now, their game atop the game, leaving open only the question of which suckers they leave holding the bag.

Going back 15 years, 58 of the last 59 English entries into the Champions League were from the super league clubs. Leicester are the only one since 2006 to break it up and that was 1 year.

Presumably if this does go through, Everton, Leicester etc will fight for a qualification spot because it'll mean stupid money for the club, and so the competitiveness will remain at the top end.

Really, what's changed? Big 6 go to Europe, same as ever. Mid-table scrap for an impossibly small chance of qualifying.

I suppose you could say this year is the exception - Everton, Leicester, West Ham all genuinely going for the top 4, but it took a once a century global pandemic to happen, so we can't pretend like it's going to be repeated.

IMO football has been in a crisis for 30 years and at least this has brought it to a head, and we might actually start discussing how we want the sport to be. Do we want 1992-2021 domination by an ever smaller group of clubs? Or do we want a revolving door of clubs rising and falling like post war-1991?

How far are we actually willing to go to make things more competitive, make the game a level playing field?
I don't disagree with much you have written there but if it is so cut-and-dried, why the 15 founder members having permanent residency in the competition? What are they afraid of? If these clubs choose to spend, spend, spend to try and get to the top, there has to be a risk/reward factor. Clubs being able to ring-fence themselves in is something we as a club have fought against for the past decade. I didn't like the attitude of these clubs then, I hate that we have sided with them now.

We were standing on the San Andreas Fault.

It tore, and as it ripped we had to jump.

But what is left. Rubble.

The economics are with the Real Madrid, barcelona, Manchester United and Liverpool because everyone wants to watch them on TV and that generates commercial income.

However, we do not live in a world where corporations get to entirely dictate events. Capitalism is regulated by the state and I find it difficult to believe that this will be allowed to happen. I think we played a watching brief but we joined them in the end.

I would have liked it had City resisted this but perhaps that is looking at this with a supporters eyes. One of our owners is an American investment trust. Our owners are in this for money.

There is now a complete disconnect between the ethics of the game and the economics and the biggest clubs as usual want the biggest piece of pie. I feel that national governments and regulators will not allow this to happen so I am surprised that City joined up. You don't join a doomed and politically damaging initiative but join we did.

I very much doubt that there is anything governments / regulators can do to stop this.

People are already filling this thread and no doubt social media with all sorts of ill informed and over emotional nonsense.

I'll keep reiterating that I am not in favour of this development but I have no doubt that if it goes ahead, and I think it probably will, City need to be involved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.