The Sweet

MCFCTrick

Team supported
Citeh
The first single I ever bought was Blockbuster. Then all the subsequent singles too. Through the B sides I got into Hard Rock before I knew it even had a name....

Yeah, we know they glammed it up rotten for sales, and made some cracking glam singles in doing so......but as those B sides and albums showed, they were a genuine rock band under the make-up and daft costumes of the era....a bloody good one too....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl7h8W8OF8E[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leBwwwG7Ao8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0OgTYlZeGU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc1sgCT7X2c[/youtube]

Useless fact #23: The Sweet's lead singer was the brother of the guy that played Taggart (Mark McManus, if memory serves).

If you look past the blond mullet you can actually see the resemblance...

Sue Denim said:
Useless fact #23: The Sweet's lead singer was the brother of the guy that played Taggart (Mark McManus, if memory serves).

not sure that's true, i think the relation was with his foster father
from an interview with his daughter

Nicola is currently helping to write a biography of her father, and is keen to use this opportunity to correct wrongly reported facts about his life. "Contrary to popular belief, my Dad was not a cousin of the actor Mark McManus (of Taggart fame), nor did he think he was," she maintains. "Dad grew up in a foster family he thought were his real family until he was 18. In that family there was a Mark McManus, and among the cousins of that family was the actor Mark McManus. But it was the press who got it mixed up, not my Dad."

Sue Denim said:

any resemblance is purely coincidental as they weren't blood relatives. brian connolly was fostered from a very young age by a couple called mcmanus whose nephew was mark macmanus alias taggart.

tonea2003 said:
Sue Denim said:

not sure that's true, i think the relation was with his foster father
from an interview with his daughter

Nicola is currently helping to write a biography of her father, and is keen to use this opportunity to correct wrongly reported facts about his life. "Contrary to popular belief, my Dad was not a cousin of the actor Mark McManus (of Taggart fame), nor did he think he was," she maintains. "Dad grew up in a foster family he thought were his real family until he was 18. In that family there was a Mark McManus, and among the cousins of that family was the actor Mark McManus. But it was the press who got it mixed up, not my Dad."

rassclot said:
Sue Denim said:

any resemblance is purely coincidental as they weren't blood relatives. brian connolly was fostered from a very young age by a couple called mcmanus whose nephew was mark macmanus alias taggart.

I stand corrected...my fault for reading too much Smash Hits pop trivia in my younger days ;-).

His sounds a pretty interesting story, though...will keep an eye out for that biography.

Currently reading a book called 'Blockbuster - The Sweet Story' by Dave Thompson....and it states it was the McManus family that adopted Brian Connolly, and Mark McManus was his step brother by adoption. (Along with two sisters, Cathy and Marylin)

Oddly, as he got older, and was in the grip of the alcoholism that took his life, he did uncannily look like 'Taggart'......and the one at the Swamp too, lol.

I never got to see them in their heyday.....but did catch them in '81 as a three peice after Connolly had been fired for his drinking etc....and though it wasn't the same, they were still a cracking live act.....all the band could sing equally well and shared lead vocals. A shame that cancer took drummer Mick Tucker too, and the two remaining members aren't on speaking terms nowadays with Priest over in America dragging the name around with a bunch of session guy, and Scott here doing the cabaret circuit using the name too....when not doing cringeworthy van ads on tv of course, lmfao..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.