The Times: Utd and Liverpool vetted new PL CEO candidates

It's like nobody reads actual thread titles. It says "vetted", not "vetoed". I don't think anyone has claimed that Liverpool vetoed the appointment of Dave Howe as far as I can tell?
The Times print article says that the decision to appoint one of the candidates (Howe) was vetoed (ie blocked) and Liverpool were not happy about it. The implication seems to be that United may have blocked it but that wasn't stated.

The candidate who was vetoed was reported to be the son of Don Howe (of Arsenal fame). Apparently the female who left after a few weeks has still not got another job. I wonder if anyone in the British press has the balls or the ability to investigate this properly. Don't hold your breath.
There was a major Governnment inquiry into football governance in 2010/11. One of the many reasons it was carried out was public concerns expressed about Liverpool and United having too much inappropriate influence on the game. Ironically one of the key advisers to the investigating Commons Committee was Rick Parry! It produced a long list of recommendations to clean up English football (see the link below). But nothing was ever done.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/...rt-committee/news/football-governance-report/
Fascinating read is that, cheers. A few paragraphs stood out for me, two of which are:

“Other examples of clubs which have struggled with debt since leaving the Premier League include Barnsley, Bradford City, Coventry City, Charlton, Hull City, Ipswich Town, Leeds United, Leicester City, Nottingham Forest, Queens Park Rangers, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, Watford and Wimbledon. It is also the case that individual Premier League clubs have lived a precarious existence for a time, when they required new injections of investment to address levels of debt that their owners were struggling or simply unable to service. Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and West Ham United have all needed to be rescued in this way. Sean Hamil told us that "what went on at Manchester City with Thaksin Shinawata was absolute skin of the teeth escape from a financial disaster. The same thing up at Liverpool. Now, how long do you have to continue to be lucky?"

Andy Green accepted that, in "normal" industries, LBOs could possibly be defended on the grounds that they brought efficiencies and financial discipline to large companies. However, he argued that in a football context, they resulted in ticket price rises (to service interest costs) and reduced investment (for example, in Liverpool's case, deferral of plans to build a new stadium). It is also the case that, given the uncertainty of competition, some revenue streams cannot be guaranteed. Hence, Liverpool's failure to qualify for the riches of the Champions League contributed to a near default on its LBO debt, and the enforced sale of the club.

I’ll wager the football savvy public know about a lot of the above and how close we came to being gone, but have no idea how close to going the ‘istree boys’ were as well.....

I think you're last line nailed it Kaz. We're all completely naffed off with football as we've all seen the light.
Liverpool and utd run the premier league, in a nutshell.
I feel all 3 really,the whole agenda against us and for them is nauseating,puts what we have achieved in the last 10yrs in the fucking amazing category,i think they didn't see 2012 coming and got on the case a bit late to stop 2014,massively ramped up when pep came and despite last yrs efforts we were just,1 pt ,too good,they never thought they would be up against pep with his 2 mates and Khaldoon

The FA,prem,pigmol and media and governing bodie have shown their true colours as if anyone needed it smacking in the face likes this

Well done to the times,at least this and the hacking is out there,sadly the FA and the prem will never do the right thing by us

I fear back to back dipper titles incoming

I fear back to back dipper titles incoming
I think they might decide to let someone else win it, after they’ve done an unprecedented 4 PL titles in a row... you know just as United might have finally rebuilt...

this year they’re going to wipe out all the records we’ve achieved in the PL over the past 2 years, a cleansing of the blue ink from the record books.

the quadruple PL would give them a new unique achievement that they seem to need.

I think they might decide to let someone else win it, after they’ve done an unprecedented 4 PL titles in a row... you know just as United might have finally rebuilt...

this year they’re going to wipe out all the records we’ve achieved in the PL over the past 2 years, a cleansing of the blue ink from the record books.

the quadruple PL would give them a new unique achievement that they seem to need.
I'm not sure last season went into the record books,not been mentioned since the day after

The next target coming up is unbeaten,if oliver or alti is not the ref for our game i will give everything i have to the cats home

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.