The Title Race - 2021/22

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No we lost it because for the first in a meaningful game (ie not early rounds of cups) Pep didn't start with either Rodri or Fernandinho
hard disagree. not only our defense was suspect I also felt the attack had no chemistry and intensity or form. so it is not just the DM that was a problem, we had also lost the sharp edge in our attacking form

Last edited:
Chelsea play spurs on a Wednesday evening and then have to play us (away match) on Saturday 12:30PM. Hopefully we get three points..

do Chelsea and its effectively a two horse race, but still consider it only an 8 point lead with the scouse's game in hand. they have a good run of games until they play us, with only 2 away games until mid march, palace and burnley. so still a long way to go.

Chelsea are currently 10 points behind us and we play them next. Let's say we lose which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, they'll be 7 points behind us with 48 points still to play for. We'd still be in a strong position but bigger turnarounds have happened and at a far later stage in the season, namely 2011/12.

Liverpool are 11 points behind us with a game in hand. Let's say in the next round of fixtures we lose to Chelsea and Liverpool beat Brentford, both results hardly impossible, that makes it 8 points. Let's also assume for arguments sake that Liverpool win their game in hand to make it 5 points. Finally, we still have to play them later in the season and if we were to lose it would be 2 points.

Admittedly these are the worst case scenarios where everything goes against us but I don't think those results are that unrealistic. We also have to factor in the latter stages of the Champions League and potential absences due to injury or covid. Of course these apply to Liverpool and Chelsea just as much as they apply to us but we don't know how those three factors will impact on the rest of our respective seasons.

Having said all that, I am actually pretty confident we'll see it through but there's still a long way to go.

half the season left course it is
Well admittedly it does come off as overly confident, but assume we beat Chelsea and knock them out of the race.

Realistically the only way Liverpool catch up to us is if we replicate some of our worst ever form under Pep. And barring a huge injury crisis there's no reason why that would happen.

Of course, Liverpool could go on a huge winning run, but they obviously don't have it in them to do that this season. Even in games they've won they've looked worse than previously. They struggle against almost every decent side.

I do understand why some of the confidence can seem arrogant, but Pep Guardiola has zero history of ever losing a league from the position we're in now.

Chelsea are currently 10 points behind us and we play them next. Let's say we lose which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, they'll be 7 points behind us with 48 points still to play for. We'd still be in a strong position but bigger turnarounds have happened and at a far later stage in the season, namely 2011/12.

Liverpool are 11 points behind us with a game in hand. Let's say in the next round of fixtures we lose to Chelsea and Liverpool beat Brentford, both results hardly impossible, that makes it 8 points. Let's also assume for arguments sake that Liverpool win their game in hand to make it 5 points. Finally, we still have to play them later in the season and if we were to lose it would be 2 points.

Admittedly these are the worst case scenarios where everything goes against us but I don't think those results are that unrealistic. We also have to factor in the latter stages of the Champions League and potential absences due to injury or covid. Of course these apply to Liverpool and Chelsea just as much as it applies to us but we don't know how those three factors will impact on the rest of our respective seasons.

Having said all that, I am actually pretty confident we'll see it through but there's still a long way to go.
It’s not that it’s not possible, it’s that it requires virtual perfection for the chasers, WHILE City lose 3 or 4 MORE games than they do!

If we beat Chelsea, one has to believe they’re only looking at a CL position. From here, all we have to do is NOT lose 3 more games than Liverpool. They MUST WIN the head to head game at our place, or else that makes it 4 more they have to win!

Considering we have played 4th place twice already and have most of the rest of the top clubs at home, we are in a very strong, albeit not unassailable, lead.

The fat lady hasn’t even entered the building yet, let alone warmed up or started singing!

However, if we can get through the next 10 games (to 30) with a 5-8 point gap, it starts getting harder and harder for them, and the permutations become smaller and smaller.

11 games of perfection have created this gap, while LiVARpool and Chelski have faltered. From here, they need DOUBLE THAT level of perfection and we still need to lose more games than we have in the first half of the season!

There will be a shock result or two, and we are perfectly capable of those, but so are they.

Early doors, but I’d rather by Blue than Red or a Cockney tonight!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.