The title race

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Fuzzy80, 4 Nov 2018.

1. TheThirdDeano

TheThirdDeano

I tell you; winning it from here would annoy so many people so disgustingly much I actually ache for it to happen, and from experience there’s nothing city love more than pissing on others parade so I genuinely think we’re going to do it.

2. aguero93:20

aguero93:20

Team supported:
    Team Pep
    £991.24m
    -£44m (Sterling)
    -£50m (Torres)
    -£65m (Suarez)
    -£105m (Coutinho)
    = 0 net spend

Psychedelic Casual likes this.
  3. Didsbury Dave

Didsbury Dave

What a superb post. They are the facts.

Eli Panic and WEMBLEY76 like this.
  4. Metalartin

Metalartin

Great post.

I take it 'organic growth' in the 1960's was meant to be taken as sarcasm? What with them basically buying, what was it 22 players in a short period of time? Who else was doing that to compete with them, at that time to justify that? It would be interesting to know if that was actually a full squad to get out of div 2 and another one to win the title a year after they got promoted, it wouldn't surprise me.

Not forgetting to mention the Moores family buying into the club, was probably the reason they were suddenly able to do all this. This included record breaking signings back to back at a time when superclubs didn't exist(so in a way that's worse than today or even Chelsea's rise), they were able to become the only "big club" in the league, thanks to money... "but dey earned it la".

Last edited: 11 Jan 2019
  5. prestonibbo_mcfc

prestonibbo_mcfc

Maybe Chelsea or Everton, blue.

6. Exeter Blue I am here

Exeter Blue I am here

I’ve never really been able to establish what the Moore’s family put into Liverpool, and in fact I think they had a more significant impact at Everton. Either way it’s hard to quantify, so I don’t think we should hang our hats on it with any degree of certainty. It may have been fundamental. Equally it may have been of less consequence than we think

7. Metalartin

Metalartin

That doesn't surprise me, I was even struggling to find the exact dates they bought into the club myself. It's almost like the pro Liverpool literature tries to erase it from history, by instead mentioning David Moores becoming majority shareholder and chairman in 1991.

Well either way, the money was spent and to go from div 2 to that by spending, is not organic whichever way they want to paint it.

We should all know the story of the formation of the PL, without even being told. Why else would the top clubs at the time want the topflight to become privatised, other than the promise of more money?

I found it interesting which 5 clubs are believed to have first held a meeting with Greg Dyke about it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_of_the_Premier_League

asaluttar likes this.
  8. asaluttar

asaluttar

We could win the home leg of the next three CL rounds 9-0 each and settle for 27 wins 4 losses

9. johnevans

johnevans

I posted the following last April in response to a fellow Blue, which may be of help/interest. As I said in that post, it's very difficult to find clubs' financial statements and so on prior to the early 70s, so bear with the 'guesstimate':

"One area you touched on (as did Gary James in his posts) is the lack of awareness amongst supporters of the true history of so many of their clubs. Please bear with me whilst I outline a discussion I had with a couple of pals, one an Everton fan, the other a Liverpool supporter, a year or so back. Both had spouted the usual media tosh about City and 'oil money' (with its inherent racism) and us having no history (i.e. not having won anything for donkey's years and so on) and all the other stuff about buying success.. etc., etc., you know the score..

So, eventually, having sipped on my pint whilst listening to this guff, I slowly knocked each issue they had with City back into the covers, until finally going into some detail about things I knew about their respective clubs, especially how their joint rise to success post-1960 was pump-primed by the Moores family/Littlewoods connections and shareholdings.

Everton had consolidated recently as a top flight club for 3-4 years after promotion from the 2nd division and were about to appoint Harry Catterick as manager, whilst Liverpool were still a 2nd division side, with their newly installed manager, Bill Shankly. Both clubs gained significantly from these connections, Everton in 1959-60 to the tune of a £56000 interest free loan from John Moores plus his personal guarantee to underwrite transfer spending for the next few years. A year later, Liverpool gained funding support to buy, most notably, both Ian St John and Ron Yeats for a total of almost £60000. Within a few years, both had won the 1st division title and the FA Cup, on their way to becoming part of English football's long-term elite.

'So what?' you might say. Well, those sums of money were significant in kick-starting the Everton and Liverpool we came to know (and occasionally support, especially in European finals) over the next few decades. Just as with every other club that has enjoyed successes down the ages, from the Arsenal of the 30s onwards to Nottingham Forest in the late 70s to the modern day Chelsea and now City.

And those sums of money given to create 'The School of Science' at Goodison and 'This Is Anfield' across Stanley Park were not piddling amounts. As I then said to my pals it's very difficult to locate club accounts information prior to 1974 but taking that year's statement of accounts for both Everton and Liverpool, they posted 'Incomes' of £499328 and £701289 respectively (with 'Income' defined as gate receipts and other sources of funding such as the club shop, programme sales etc. less shares paid to other clubs and taxes etc.) These figures were earned after some 10 years of being successful top-flight clubs, during which time both had won 2 titles and also the FA Cup, plus begun their early experience with European competition. Now, using the Bank of England's inflation calculator, £499k and £701k translate to £223k and £314k in 1960. Remember, both were not the giants they later became, so their earnings would probably be much lower - but stick with these numbers for now. The monies given to fund their respective transfer spending of the early 60s represent (£56k and £60k) approx. 25% of Everton's 1960 income, whilst for Liverpool it's 22%. And it continued for several years, enabling major transfer success in securing top players. That was some kick-start for both clubs, almost unprecedented at the time and absolutely the key reason for the subsequent successes enjoyed between 1962-74.

Again, 'so what?' Well, my two pals were astounded when I outlined this lot to them. In fact, the Liverpool supporter was blissfully unaware that Everton had benefited to such an extent from the largesse of John Moores et al. Whenever I point such things out to fans from other clubs (should the occasion arise), they too are similarly shocked. The point being that, just as with our 'lottery win' of 2008, so too every club that wants to dine at the top table needs the ackers to go with their ambition. The numbers may have skyrocketed astronomically since the advent of the Premier League but the principle is exactly the same.

And as for the advent of the Premier League, I'd better finish now before I start on that one.. the accretion of power first by the 'Big 5' of Everton, Liverpool, United, Spurs and Arsenal and then the 'Sky 4' of Liverpool, Arsenal, United and Chelsea, is another one that rattles my cage when other clubs' fans seem to forget the history of the thing..!"

10. asaluttar

asaluttar

You missed out £700 million received for next superstar and "better than Sterling", Jordan Ibe