They Shall Not Grow Old ~ Documentary

It was quite upsetting. It was a fairly pointless war.

I also get upset at what horses went through.

There's a memorial to all the animals that died in war at Hyde Park corner:

w_1200.jpg

Really touching to see the German POW's being treated with upmost respect, after they had just been slaughtering each other. Both just poor lads following orders, and had a lot more in common than the people sending them to war.

There was a moment in the film when the German prisoners were being asked to empty their pockets onto a table so that the contents could be checked and confiscated.

One of the squaddies picked up a family photograph that a German prisoner had placed there and gave it back to him but the prisoner didn't understand, so the squaddie put it back in his pocket for him.

The German replied 'Danke'.

There was a moment in the film when the German prisoners were being asked to empty their pockets onto a table so that the contents could be checked and confiscated.

One of the squaddies picked up a family photograph that a German prisoner had placed there and gave it back to him but the prisoner didn't understand, so the squaddie put it back in his pocket for him.

The German replied 'Danke'.

Even in the depths of hell, humanity and love prevails.

So insane what those men had to endure and put each other through, and for what reason?

Even my eldest lad phoned me today to ask if I had watched it, which I had. He has little interest in history, but he bombarded me with questions about my Grandad and Great Uncle who had both served in the Great War, and also my mum and dad who both served in WW2. Something must have resonated with him whilst watching this, we both used the word harrowing, but compelling at the same time.

Didn't know flame throwers were.used in WW1
The brothel stuff was.illuminating.

Of course as WW1 led to WW2 it is.even more of a tragedy.

Just watched it and thought it was amazing and harrowing. The colour and slowing of the film made it more real. There is s certain detachment when you watch the original footage, that had an effect, on me at least, that it was other worldly, the men shadows and robotic in their movements. This re-working brought the humanity to it and suddenly it was more powerful.

The old fellas giving their accounts was really moving. My great grandfather and two of his brothers and a few cousins served with the 51st Highlanders and the old photos my gran had they looked like the old footage. Somehow not real. This film made me imagine them in a different way.

The stories of how they fared once they returned was so sad. After enduring what they all went through, they were immediately forgotten and you could understand how many felt betrayed and abandoned.

The tradgedy here, is it seems not much has changed.

A brilliant piece of work that should be part of the curriculum of every kid at school.

It was quite upsetting. It was a fairly pointless war.

I also get upset at what horses went through.

As someone who loves animals, that affected me too. A completely futile war that’s conclusion and reparations demanded sewed the seeds for the next one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.