This Cesspit of a City

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
It's all i see nowadays. Don't get me wrong i love a nice skyscraper like the Owen Street Towers going up and a nice drink in Cottonopolis, but all my attention is ever drawn to these days is the filth everywhere. As i said in the OP, it's actually starting to get me down and further still the fact that so many people don't seem to give a shit about it and either add to it or don't keep their locality clean and tidy themselves.

If the pavement outside my front door was a mess, i wouldn't expect anyone but me to do something about it. It's not the Council's fault that some untidy painter and decorator has spilt a tin of paint on the floor or that a teenager spits his chewing gum on the same patch of floor on his way home from school every day making the pavement look like it's got the plague. As if the Council can keep every scratch of the city clean... I would take it upon myself to do something about it because i have pride in where i live.

(by the way, graffitti remover, hot water and a garden digging hoe will get chewing gum up)

Every day i grumble to myself about the crap on the streets of Radcliffe. The park i walk around twice a day has gone from a nice tidy green space to an overgrown dump over the last 3 years. Before then we had a park ranger, regular gardeners and litter clean ups and the residents had a 'friends' group where we planted flowers, sculptures etc.
And then came the cuts. We now get 1 truck with 2 men that empties the bins and nothing else. The fuckers drive past an abandoned double bed, car top box, suitcases and a fridge every time but just ignore it as it's not in their job description. Arrrggghhh....

Yeah, was bad in that period but it got an undeserved reputation way before that, think most ares have got their gangs now .
My Mother and the family left Moss Side in the 1970s. She said it very quickly went from being a poor but nice and clean area where there was a very close-knit community, to almost overnight being a grubby horrible place with matresses/sofas/rubbish left in ginnels on a regular basis and prostitutes walking her street at night (she lived on Russell Street just by Alex Park) and lots of antisocial behaviour.

so is Londons, so is Leeds, Liverpool, the whole of the Uk mate, I actually work with homeless people and believe me most prefer to sleep rough, even though we try to get them accomadation, a job etc, there more conditioned to take drugs or drink and go back to sleeping rough. What we should be saying I think is; the alcoholics and drug users is getting out of control in Manchester, you treat them eventually you eradicate homelessness.
Liverpool and Leeds have a far lower homelessness problem. In fact their homeless come to Manchester thinking it's a haven for the homeless.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...r-news/what-being-done-help-homeless-14203255

"Manchester has nearly twice as many rough sleepers as Birmingham and almost three times that of Liverpool"

There's a homeless fella in Chorlton (if you live there you'll know who i mean, he's the one with a fucking horrendous cough and just pisses in the street in full view of everyone!), who is from Wigan or somewhere and told a mate of mine that he stays here because people give him money not like where he was from originally.

I used to hear gun shots most nights in the early 90's.......Height of Gooch and Doddington.

Helicopters regularly overhead all hours.

Now I live opposite a Golf Course surrounded by trees. Victoria Avenue M9
I was late for a night match in 89, all my usual parking streets were full. Driving round I ended up on Gooch close. I knew it had a reputation but I saw a parking space. I heard a guy - "I wouldn't park there mate if I was you". - "It will be alright mate". And off I ran to Maine road. I couldn't relax thinking my car would be trashed so I came out around 80 minutes to dash back. It was still there untouched to my relief, but I made sure I didn't park on there again.

There's a homeless fella in Chorlton (if you live there you'll know who i mean, he's the one with a fucking horrendous cough and just pisses in the street in full view of everyone!), who is from Wigan or somewhere and told a mate of mine that he stays here because people give him money not like where he was from originally.
Is he the guy that sits outside the Co-op? I think he's raking it in if he's the one. He gets a free kebab every night from Panicos too.

Is he the guy that sits outside the Co-op? I think he's raking it in if he's the one. He gets a free kebab every night from Panicos too.
Yes him! I think his cough will be the end of him soon though, it’s really bad

My daughter graduated from Salford Uni yesterday and we stayed over in the Travelodge on Blackfriars street
For the evening I booked a table at Evuna in the Northern quarter and there were thirteen guests, 4 students, another daughter and eight parents
The parents were
us originally from Stockport now living in mid Cheshire
One Dad originally from Wigan now living in Hampshire where his Mrs is from
Two parents from Nottingham
Two from County Derry Northern Ireland

As we were all staying in the sameish area, we arranged to meet up for a pre meal drink in the Printworks. I said that Evuna had great reviews and that the Northern quarter was a vibrant area, still with some work to do but nothing like it used to be
Just after 6pm, following drinks we walked to Evuna ensuring I avoided the eyesore that is Piccadilly. In the streets leading to Evuna there were crack heads lighting up in doorways

We had a lovely meal and as we will probably never meet up again it took a long time to say our goodbyes, so these carried on outside the restaurant where we were hounded by homeless beggars

I felt embarrassed for the city that after I'd been singing its praises it will have left such a shitty impression on all these parents

I remember going Singapore and being blown away by how clean it was, it was a joy to walk around. I hate our city centre, I'm working as hard as I can to move away from Manchester now. Going to the match is a chore if you go on public transport, ruins my mood for the match walking through piss stained alleys in town.

Kids on the estate just don't give a fuck, you get old peoples bins being pushed over and everything. I'd love to give them a hiding.

My Mother and the family left Moss Side in the 1970s. She said it very quickly went from being a poor but nice and clean area where there was a very close-knit community, to almost overnight being a grubby horrible place with matresses/sofas/rubbish left in ginnels on a regular basis and prostitutes walking her street at night (she lived on Russell Street just by Alex Park) and lots of antisocial behaviour.
I was born in moss side & remember that community feel , was largely brought up in Rusholme & that was the same , sometime in the 80’s it started to change for the worse & I beleive drugs was a major cause, combined with the fact that people stopped caring . Went down there last year & saw my old street, an absolute slum that looked like it was under seize, broke my heart.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.