This is bugging me - Uefa next year

bluejue

I know that this has been debated numerous times but I have never seen anyone refer to the eighth placed team getting to the qualifying stages next year.

The access listings refer to the sixth placed club getting to the qualifying stages so as Man Ure have already won the League Cup, does that mean that if a CL or Uefa qualifying team win the FA Cup then the eighth place team will qualify?

If a team that has already qualified for europe wins the FA cup, 7th in the premiership gets Europa League spot. 8th doesn't qualify unless they somehow win the UEFA Cup........

bluejue said:
Does the winner of the league cup not qualify?

Goes to next hightest league team according to the mighty source of dubiousness wikipedia.

So if the 5th and 6th place get into the cup automatically and the two cups carry a place why doesn't eighth place qualify if the two cups go to teams who win the cups have already qualified for a uefa competition?

i imagine thats because its not confirmed yet...everton could yet win the fa cup and finish out of the uefa cu spaces...meaning 7th would not be a uefa cup spot for next season

Think I've spotted the problem:

6th place doesn't qualify auomatically - we just get one league place and then league and fa cup. These are usually won by top four hence why we get teams in on league position.

ONly Serie A and La Liga have a 6th place qualifier and I assume that's because they don't have two cup qualifiers. Seem to remember a discussion in this country about swapping the League cup place to the league.

Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League_2009–10 They've got United playing next season as they're confirmed as League cup winners but as it's unlikely they'll finish outside the top 4 everyone has assumed that 6th is definite UEFA.

I think my problem is that I interpret that there are automatic places for the 5th and 6th placed teams and two further places for the cup winning teams - meaning that up to 8th place can qualify. The attached link seems to confirm this?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/news/kind=2097152/newsid=788326.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacu ... 88326.html</a>

009/10 UEFA Europa League Access list
Association Q3 PO Group
Rank
N/A
1 England N6 CW N5

Abbreviations
Q1: First qualifying round
Q2: Second qualifying round
Q3: Third qualifying round
PO: Play-off round
CW: Cup winners
RU: Domestic league runners-up
N3: Domestic league third-placed side
N4: Domestic league fourth-placed side
N5: Domestic league fifth-placed side
N6: Domestic league sixth-placed side

That chart only shows one cup place - and the N6 looks like an error by UEFA. Either way only three teams from England so can only go down to 7th (excluding fair play)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.