This Saddened Me Today

In a wealthy first world nation I’d say yes, a mattress for a kid is a necessity.

Fucking hell.

Being a wealthy first world nation is irrelevant "fucking hell" or not. A child or an adult can live without a mattress or a comfortable base. They cannot live without food, water, warmth or toilet as necessities, i would even add clothes on to that.

You can get a childs mattress for £25 from IKEA or £17 from Amazon. Less than 50p a week spread out over the year. If we are a wealthy first world nation then giving a child what you call a necessity is akin to less than a chocolate bar a week.

Are things really that bad for some people in this country that they cannot afford less than 50p a week on a so called item that is a necessity?

Is internet access a necessity? No. Should each child and adult in this country have access to it? Yes. Similar to a mattress in my "fucking hell" opinion.

Being a wealthy first world nation is irrelevant "fucking hell" or not. A child or an adult can live without a mattress or a comfortable base. They cannot live without food, water, warmth or toilet as necessities, i would even add clothes on to that.

You can get a childs mattress for £25 from IKEA or £17 from Amazon. Less than 50p a week spread out over the year. If we are a wealthy first world nation then giving a child what you call a necessity is akin to less than a chocolate bar a week.

Are things really that bad for some people in this country that they cannot afford less than 50p a week on a so called item that is a necessity?

Is internet access a necessity? No. Should each child and adult in this country have access to it? Yes. Similar to a mattress in my "fucking hell" opinion.
In most areas you can get essential furniture or white goods as part of a crisis support scheme via their Council.

You can't make such schemes amazingly attractive or they create their own demand like food banks, which amazing are in high demand as they are giving away free goods.

Just caught this on the news, this is terrible and it must be happening all over the UK, how can we just sit by and watch children get through life without the basic necessities of life? Obviously there is more to this than meets the eye when you delve deeper but none of this is the childs fault.

I didn't put this into the politics section because I thought it may get bogged down in point scoring which wouldn't help the issue.

Tragic, terrible, disgusting, etc , what you cannot do here though is take the politics out of this. You are correct it is not any child's fault, the State though is responsible for poverty and Governments can alleviate the effects of poverty without charity having to take up the slack. It is 2021 not 1870 when kids were sent up chimneys and slept on straw. We are the 5/6th richest country on the planet and this need not happen.

No kid should ever be without a bed, without a meal, without a warm decent home. It really is all the adjectives used above and more. How can we expect children to grow into fully functioning adults who have a decent economic output that benefits society without providing the basics needed to give them an equitable start in life.

It is a fact that inequality harms the economy, it is a fact inequality leads to poverty, children from impoverished backgrounds have less chance of succeeding in life and a greater chance of never reaching their full potential. Thats is wasted potential, one of these kids could be the genius who solves a huge medical issue, they could be the next David Silva, they could be just normal kids of course who work in a supermarket and raise kids of their own. We have to give kids every chance to succeed though and it is disgusting that some kids born with silver spoons in their mouths have every life chance whilst some sleep on a cold damp floor.

This issue is political, and every Government of all political hues should endeavour to make sure every kid has a bed, a meal , a warm decent house and a good school in a safe loving environment. If any government fail in this they are failing the most basic principle of humanity, nature and nurture. If they fail they should be ashamed and never be in power again.

I think you’re arguing with yourself here, I’ve no idea what point you’re trying to make.

My wife was a primary school teacher for 15 years. Believe me, kids tell their teachers everything that goes on at home.

The number of kids who were not eating properly, or didn’t have socks, underwear or coats was an absolute eye-opener for me. The amount teachers do to secretly help is immense.

She watched the support, for families who needed it, drain away over the years. And the innocent kids continue to go without.

My wife was a primary school teacher for 15 years. Believe me, kids tell their teachers everything that goes on at home.

The number of kids who were not eating properly, or didn’t have socks, underwear or coats was an absolute eye-opener for me. The amount teachers do to secretly help is immense.

She watched the support, for families who needed it, drain away over the years. And the innocent kids continue to go without.

Agree my mum was a teacher in secondary school and worked in all different type of schools.
The one she like the most was the one in the poorest part of thanet with the worst reputation.
She did so much to help those kids, yet because of league tables and press/media those poor kids knew they were seen as scum.

The kids came in the first year, couldnt read or write and were deem to leave in 5 years time unqualified. They would leave with qualifications not great qualifications but qualifications. This was seen as a better performance that the top school were they were expected to get top Mark's from the start by my mum.

She told me that one kid bought a nite saying sorry I am late but mum stabbed dad last night.

Having been thought the adoption process for our youngest you wouldnt believe what some kids go through.

The problem is without a good nights sleep and the internet (and the tech) these kids get left behind and never get a chance to improve themselves. There is no justice in that and nor is it sensible.

The reason the parents haven’t provided is largely irrelevant- they’ll be plenty of reasons and one may be that they have pissed their money away but that doesn’t solve the problem. Fuck me they may then even sell the bed and tech but then we take their kids away from them because they don’t deserve them. But let’s trust them first and most importantly make sure these kids have every opportunity to succeed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.