This transfer window and the "Yaya problem"

Lovebitesandeveryfing

Now anyone with eyes to see can see that Yaya's legs over the last season or so are not what they were. That's not slagging him off, it's just recognising biology. He's still an immense player for us. Time and again against Watford, I noticed him making first-touch passes to people in better space than he was. He wasn't doing a lot of running. Nothing spectacular. He didn't need to. He'd decided exactly who he was going to pass the ball to long before receiving it, and his choices were nearly always good ones. He's up there with Silva in his vision and grasp of patterns of play. Think of that brilliant, effortless flick to Nasri for our second against Everton (and incidentally, he has an exceptional understanding with Nasri, always has had, and that's one more reason among several for holding on to Nasri).
I just find myself thinking that it perhaps doesn't matter that we haven't got Pogba. With the people we've now got, we could envisage asking Yaya to do what he does best. Not haring up and down the field, which he was never much good at, and is becoming visibly less able to do. He was never a good defender, doesn't have the first idea how to close a player down. With the likes of Otamendi, Delph, Fernandinho behind him, Sterling and De Bruyne wide, both of whom are young and can run until the cows come home, I suspect that we could get three or even four more good years out of Yaya in simply playing him in a reduced role, further up the field, his preferred area of operations being about twenty yards or so either side of the halfway life, and a few yards behind Silva.
Nobody we've got plays like Yaya, that's obvious. But it's not the point. It just might be that this awesome transfer window has, collectively, solved the Yaya problem in giving him a new lease of life.

I think that central midfield is the one area we didn't address effectively this season. One injury/suspension to Fernandinho/Yaya and the quality of our play will go down.

He's looking a lot more motivated and fitter, to boot.
He's also making a lot more effort to cover back.
Would have thought, this moment in time, is the last to talk
about any problems that Yaya might have or give.

Next season i think our entire budget goes on the central midfield area, maybe we miss out on Pogba but we will be balls deep for someone.

I think that central midfield is the one area we didn't address effectively this season. One injury/suspension to Fernandinho/Yaya and the quality of our play will go down.

It's hard to bench either of them or someone as good as them though. At least Yaya has been making noises about finishing his international career.

his next contract will be the deciding factor
cant see him taking much less money
Someone will offer him a relatively big short term deal
Will we match it with the talent we have/ will have?
Probably not?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.