Thomas Cook

I don't understand the Hays story so someone please help me out. The news say they have bought Thomas Cooks shops but these of course were actually rented from landlords so what have they actually bought ?
Also will they trade as TC or Hays ?

Trade as Hays with some shops in Yorkshire and the North East still probably sadly closing due to overlap.

They will have bought the brand and no doubt debt for a nominal sum with the hope of trading their way out of it.

Husband and wife firm that do what it says in the tin and just sell holidays and they had a £350M profit last year I think so do it well without trying to be a British Airways to boot.

Trade as Hays with some shops in Yorkshire and the North East still probably sadly closing due to overlap.

They will have bought the brand and no doubt debt for a nominal sum with the hope of trading their way out of it.

Husband and wife firm that do what it says in the tin and just sell holidays and they had a £350M profit last year I think so do it well without trying to be a British Airways to boot.

Cheers for the reply, I have read about the couple who own Hays so I assume by buying the brand they really are just getting cheap publicity and a lot of shops at knock down rental prices as the landlords will have little choice ?

I don't understand the Hays story so someone please help me out. The news say they have bought Thomas Cooks shops but these of course were actually rented from landlords so what have they actually bought ?
Also will they trade as TC or Hays ?

according to the press as Hays.

I don’t understand the purpose of travel agent shops in the internet age unless you are old and can’t work computers.

Mind you I have never used a travel agent shop in my life.

Always put stuff together myself or use on line agents.

I don’t understand the purpose of travel agent shops in the internet age unless you are old and can’t work computers.

Mind you I have never used a travel agent shop in my life.

Always put stuff together myself or use on line agents.
In theory, the agents used to get (may still do) advantageous rates for hotel rates either via the tour operators or hotels directly and that was how they made their money plus whatever mark up they could put on top. This model can still work, maybe not by offering the cheapest holidays but by offering exclusive deals not easily available on the net.

I was on holiday earlier this year, in a cut price 5 star hotel (4 star UK standards), but only went B&B because the all-inclusive deal was just buffet style and I've done that before and haven't been impressed so went out every night to the dozens of good eating places nearby. I thought at the time why don't the travel agents build up deals with local quality restaurants near to hotels to offer a sort of all-inclusive package and throw in excursions to sights and theme parks and all the other things you can do, transportation sorted. Fully managed trips that are hard to do arrange over the net. That's the future I reckon.

In theory, the agents used to get (may still do) advantageous rates for hotel rates either via the tour operators or hotels directly and that was how they made their money plus whatever mark up they could put on top. This model can still work, maybe not by offering the cheapest holidays but by offering exclusive deals not easily available on the net.

I was on holiday earlier this year, in a cut price 5 star hotel (4 star UK standards), but only went B&B because the all-inclusive deal was just buffet style and I've done that before and haven't been impressed so went out every night to the dozens of good eating places nearby. I thought at the time why don't the travel agents build up deals with local quality restaurants near to hotels to offer a sort of all-inclusive package and throw in excursions to sights and theme parks and all the other things you can do, transportation sorted. Fully managed trips that are hard to do arrange over the net. That's the future I reckon.

Thats what they do in China... all inclusive means being bussed out to restaurants .... lovely grub as well ... you need to book through Abercrombie and Kent / Hayes and jarvis or Kuoni ....... went to Egypt with Hayes and Jarvis and we had a bloody tour guide who was an egyptologist .. a bloody Uni professor no less who described and explained everything

Amazing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.