Tiger Woods in car accident

I have probably driven more than 500 different makes/models/types of vehicle and whilst I may have been unfamiliar with the handling of the vehicle I have NEVER had an issue with speed. It's ALWAYS been obvious where the speedometer is, and whilst your average speedometer is not entirely accurate they ALWAYS over-read so if the needle says 45kph you can guarantee you won't be breaking the speed limit in a 45kph zone.

I don't think anyone's questioning if he knew where the speedometer was.

The black box data from the car shows he depressed the accelerator peddle 99% in the seconds before the crash, and never hit the brake pedal. So either he was suicidal or he hit the wrong peddle.

"Accidentally" pressed the wrong pedal and suddenly ended up doing nearly twice the speed limit? I though he was driving an SUV, not a Ferrari.

He was driving an SUV with a 3.5L V6 that does 0-62 in 5.5 seconds and would do 45mph to the speed at which he hit the barriers (85mph) in roughly 3 seconds on a flat road.

There have been 14 other accidents at that spot and they've changed the road and built in a run off for cars that are going too fast and that's where he would have ended up if he hadn't hit the wrong pedal.

Its not suspicious, its not salacious, its just a 50 year old dude driving an unfamiliar car on a dangerous road and making a mistake that results in 16000 traffic accidents a year in the USA and thank goodness no one else got hurt and Woods is relatively OK.

Last edited:

The black box data from the car shows he depressed the accelerator peddle 99% in the seconds before the crash, and never hit the brake pedal. So either he was suicidal or he hit the wrong peddle.

He was driving an SUV with a 3.5L V6 that does 0-62 in 5.5 seconds and would do 45mph to the speed at which he hit the barriers (85mph) in roughly 3 seconds on a flat road.
Not buying it.

Most vehicles have a fairly similar pedal layout and it's nigh on impossible to mistake the accelerator for the brake pedal, even un an unfamiliar vehicle...UNLESS you are mentally impared.

Not buying it.

Most vehicles have a fairly similar pedal layout and it's nigh on impossible to mistake the accelerator for the brake pedal, even un an unfamiliar vehicle...UNLESS you are mentally impared.

And yet it happens to 16,000 people a year in the United States alone.

Its a known phenomenon with people doing research into why it happens to otherwise perfectly fine drivers when they panic.

You can just Google pedal error and see its a very real thing.

There have been 14 other accidents at that spot and they've changed the road and built in a run off for cars that are going too fast and that's where he would have ended up if he hadn't hit the wrong pedal.

Its not suspicious, its not salacious, its just a 50 year old dude driving an unfamiliar car on a dangerous road and making a mistake that results in 16000 traffic accidents a year in the USA and thank goodness no one else got hurt and Woods is relatively OK.
the suicidal suggestion is interesting.

An ex AFL player admittedly suffering from a rare neurological disease ala Robin Williams suicided when he accelerated into a tree at speed.

I didn't realise that suicide at the hands of a vehicle was as common as it is.

Its a known phenomenon with people doing research into why it happens to otherwise perfectly fine drivers when they panic.

Mentally impared.

Drink/drugs or otherwise distracted (mobile phone or other distraction).

Agreed along with a medical episode that is not always easy to diagnose if you recover from it quickly as some do.

That or a suicide attempt as you suggested and all bases are covered.

As you say domalino no one else was directly involved and he looks like making a full recovery so that along with your wise summary should end all debate I would suggest.

Not the best behind a wheel and most likely lost some concentration behind the wheel to boot taking the corner poorly unless your suicide suggestion was on his radar at the time but I think for no other reason than he would have attempted it before if he has suicidal tendencies this is the least likely.

Twenty odd years ago when the new wedge shaped BMW 3 series had come out, my boss needed to shift some stuff at his house, so for the weekend he used my Mondeo hatch and I took his BMW
He'd already told me that the pedals were a bit strange and sightly offset
On the final piece of the journey home as i srarted to turn off the motorway and brake, the car wasn't slowing, in fact it picked up a bit of speed
My foot was depressing the clutch

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.