Time to give Bentley a chance.

Plus you have to concede the irony involved if we did sign Bentley and fielded him, RSC and Bellamy then we know exactly what quarter of a billion pounds will buy you in todays market.

Blackburn circa 2006

C_T_I_D said:
Freestyler said:
Hughes has some stupid obession over bentley, move on hughes he's fuckin shit!

Getting him is just a typical hughes signing, if we sign bentley hughes should should immediately be sacked, i think people will start to get used to it soon, you WON'T get big names in with hughes as manager, so it looks like were gonna be stickin with mediocre signings for the duration of the season.

I like you Freestyler because you give me the opportunity to pick your brains about two things in this post.

1) Typical Hughes signing:

Does that not been he'd be a success here? So far he's only made one bad signing in Tal Ben-Haim. Lescott deserves more time yet. He is responsible for bringing in players who people adore like Shay Given and Craig Bellamy, people whose ability as a player people doubted at first.

2) If we sign Bentley Hughes should be sacked immediately

So even if we've just finished 4th and in close season he's signed David Bentley, you want rid of Mark Hughes? It's an extreme example but it's one that is possible.

3) Hughes will never attract big names:

So what are Adebayor, Robinho, Tevez in your opinion? Regardless of how they are performing they are all high profile names.

1) yes hes made good signings, but now he realises he can't get anyone better he goes for his bum boys, are we gonna pay 17 million for bentley like we did with RSC?

2) - we won't finish in the top 4 with the current team and we won't by signing the calibre of players like bentley, we need big players to crash the top 4, but they won't come will they under hughes.

3) robinho wasn't a hughes signing, another thing robinho wants out, just shows mark hughes is clueless and he can't handle big players at all.

tevez? good player, not as good as what people think, people only rave on about him more because he come from the scum, he come for the money and the convenience on staying in the area and also getting away from baconface.

Adebayor - class player, love him to bits, glad he came, but he come for the money and because he felt like a new club in england, no one else was prepared to buy him.

ok one big name, but how many more will follow?

hughes knows the big players are out of his league, i.e going for bentley

C_T_I_D said:
I'm setting myself up to fight a losing battle here. I know what kind of responses I will receive, I know what peoples opinions of him are but nonetheless I am going to attempt to be positive about this potential signing.

First of all you can question his attitude, but you cannot question the ability that once made him tipped to become the long-term successor to David Beckham. A lot of people questioned both about Craig Bellamy and he shrugged his shoulders, nailed down a place and put in top class performances week in and week out to get us on side. Why can't David Bentley do the same under a manager that actually got the best out of him at Blackburn and in a stage of his career where he was perfect foil for Roque Santa Cruz?

He's only 25 years of age and he can still improve. He is a fully capped England international who is not getting played because of Aaron Lennon. £8,000,000 is the rumoured fee and that amount is nothing to us for a player who will not pass the ball to the opposition anywhere near as much as Shaun Wright-Phillips and actually try and go past a player once in a while.

I understand why people do not want him and I hold reservations too but all I would say is that if he does join the club then to give him the opportunity to prove you wrong by what he does on the field, not write him off because of your views of him off the field which may not be true and that if not Manchester City take great pride in sueing papers for anyway (see Bellamy for details!)

I place the tin hat firmly upon my head and await the backlash because of the above. Have fun!

i agree can do the things shaun can't cross pass and take set pieces take him on loan for 6 months and see if he can get back to his best

Freestyler said:
El Boy Wonder said:
Tevez and Adebayor?

tevez? good player, not as good as what people think, people only rave on about him more because he come from the scum, he come for the money and the convenience on staying in the area and also getting away from baconface.

Adebayor - class player, love him to bits, glad he came, but he come for the money and because he felt like a new club in england, no one else was prepared to buy him.

ok one big name, but how many more will follow?

hughes knows the big players are out of his league, i.e going for bentley.

Perhaps he is going for Bentley as:

1) He is out of favour and could come fairly cheaply

2) Has worked with him before to MASSIVE success

3) His crossing ability is fantastic,

4) Got the best out of RSC, so imagine what he could do with Adebayor

5) He is a better right winger than SWP

He's not my ideal signing but those spitting dummies out about speculation need to get a grip. Half of the people on here would still have a go at Hughes if we won the league because he held the trophy wrong or something

What if Bentley does come and is a massive success? Will any of you lot hold your hands up and say fair play? I doubt it. Hughes has a great track record in the transfer market, why shouldnt it work?

C_T_I_D said:
bored at work said:
Much rather Weiss be given his chance - starting against Hull, where SWP's defensive qualities (that everyone goes on about) shouldn't be needed

I'd much rather he be eased in gently and not that amount of pressure be placed on his young shoulders as talented a player he is.

Point I was making is if Bentley does comes that pushes Weiss further down the pecking order on the right - Bentley, SWP & Bellamy (possibly)

In terms of easing in gently (although he is already an international), at home to Hull should be as gentle as it gets at the top level

bored at work said:
C_T_I_D said:
I'd much rather he be eased in gently and not that amount of pressure be placed on his young shoulders as talented a player he is.

Point I was making is if Bentley does comes that pushes Weiss further down the pecking order on the right - Bentley, SWP & Bellamy (possibly)

In terms of easing in gently (although he is already an international), at home to Hull should be as gentle as it gets at the top level

Good point well made BAW. Weiss has the quality to be unleashed on the premier league now but Hughes seems scared to do this for some reason. Weiss has shone on the international stage which in many people's eyes is seen as the pinnacle (sp?) of footballing level. I must admit i do think if we had someone like Hiddink or Jose etc that Weiss would have been used far more often than he is at the minute, Ronaldo was Weiss' age when he was starting for the rags and look what happened there. It's time for Hughes to start using Weiss more often imo and therefore there is no need for Bentley

I would have him!

Its true he has done nowt at Spurs, and his off field antics at the moment overshadow his on field ones. That said, Hughes seems the kind of manager who gets the best out of players like Bentley, look at Bellamy, he came with a boat load of baggage, but no-one is knocking him now!

Depending on what is paid, i think he could be a good buy. 8 mil in the current market strikes me as not unreasonable.

I am running away now and signing off before the bombardment starts.... ;-)

BibbyBlue85 said:
Weiss has the quality to be unleashed on the premier league now but Hughes seems scared to do this for some reason. Weiss has shone on the international stage which in many people's eyes is seen as the pinnacle (sp?) of footballing level.

Can i just ask what you are basing this on?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.