Time to stop switching right and left midfielders

lancs blue said:
There is a light said:
As it happens each of those two could manage to play on either side, but it is alien to SWP and Petrov.

Alien to a player who played on the left for England earlier this season and did a decent job?

Yes, who were they playing Kazakhstan? Anyway I couldn't give a flying fuck about England.

Give me one example of play that suggests SWP should be switched to play on the left for City.

There is a light said:
lancs blue said:
Alien to a player who played on the left for England earlier this season and did a decent job?

Yes, who were they playing Kazakhstan? Anyway I couldn't give a flying fuck about England.

Give me one example of play that suggests SWP should be switched to play on the left for City.

Shaun Wright-Phillips can not cross to save his life. Perhaps over the course of his career he has maybe, and maybe put in three good crosses. As such there is cock all difference what side of the pitch he plays on. Considering his end product is usually Nil unless he can get a good shot on goal having him on the left to cut inside and welly one doesnt seem a bad idea.

Johnson showed against Bolton he can cross very weel with either foot so having him on the right or left isnt an issue. Agree so some extent with Petrov being on the left as he (imo) one of the best crosses of the ball on the move in europe. However i would note that Petrov tends to play on the right when he is in a 3 up front, and as such we are not looking to get crossed in but to create better link up so it fits.

Scored quite a few goals off SWP crosses/corners this season.

He should always play on the right.

bigmal said:
Could not agree more with this,
might work better if it was Bellamy swapping with Johnson,
but not SWP

not for nothing, but Bellamy's had bigger rows than the one he had this week with a manager for playing him out of position.

it seem mourinho has teach this to everybody

here at inter the rare times he play 4-3-3 he continously switch left and right man every 10 mins

Mancio said:
it seem mourinho has teach this to everybody

here at inter the rare times he play 4-3-3 he continously switch left and right man every 10 mins

SWP always played right for Jose at Chelsea. He would swap Duff and Robben but they are both left footers.

I kind of like the tactic, to be honest. Theoretically if we're playing the ball out in the flanks, over the course of 90 minutes the fullback might eventually get keen on a wingers certain moves. Switching them every so often often gives the fullbacks something to think about. The problem with this of course is that Johnson and Petrov are so left-footed that if they're on the right they're often too predictable.

One of those damned-if-you-do type situations, next time you see AJ or Petrov on the right or Bellamy or SWP on the left and they put in a slick pass or score a goal we hail Mancini as a tactical genius.

As an option to mix it up it works, but the way we play it with wingers on the wrong wing for 90% of the time it is wank. We kept it more orthodox today to be fair but it really fucks up Petrov. He is completely wasted on the right. SWP, Bellamy and Johnson can all play ok on both sides(better on their own sides) but Rgsby is useless on the right and totally wasted. I don't see any benefit to continuing to keep playing this way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.